Perennia Food and Agriculture Inc. offers on-farm production expertise, food safety and value-added product development services to the agricultural, seafood and food processing enterprises in Atlantic Canada. Our highly skilled and collaborative team focuses on superior customer service, proactive solutions and innovative approaches to meet client needs. To assist in this effort, we are seeking an Analytical Chemist/Technician based in our Truro office to join our growing team of 50+ employees.
The Innovation Centre has sophisticated state of the art analytical chemistry and microbiology laboratories equipped with a subcritical and supercritical CO2 extractor and other pieces of critical analytical equipment including LCMSMS, GCMSMS, HPLC, GCMS and ICPMS. Most recently we have added a new analytical laboratory for the characterization of cannabis and its derivatives to conduct quality assurance testing for LPs across Canada.
Working closely with the lead chemist and laboratory director, the analytical chemist will help in the development and validation of new efficient methods for quality assurance testing of cannabis. The chemist will be responsible for conducting daily testing of cannabis samples from clients, including sample preparation of raw materials and finished products. The chemist will be in charge of maintaining a safe and clean laboratory and updating all laboratory inventory.
When not conducting cannabis testing services, the chemist will help in R&D experiments and perform analytical testing of other food and seafood related products.
- Assisting in method development of various analytical techniques for plant and food characterization
- Performing analytical testing of plant materials using LCMSMS, GCMSMS, HPLC, GCMS, and ICPMS.
- Performing microbial testing of plant materials using growth culture
- Ensuring a safe and clean laboratory environment
- Keeping an up-to-date inventory of laboratory supplies
- Converting testing results into reports for clients
- Using LIMS software to record and report analysis results
- B.Sc. in chemistry (preferably analytical chemistry) from a recognized university, with at least 2 years research or industrial experience
- in chemistry (preferably analytical chemistry)
- Exceptional scientific communication skills (including writing reports and preparing/delivering presentations)
- Experience with two or more of the following characterization techniques: LCMSMS, GCMSMS, HPLC, GCMS or ICPMS
- Experience working with Masshunter software is an asset
- Experience in microbiology (growth culture) is an asset
- Experience in quality assurance is an asset
- Experience in plant science is an asset
- Experience developing and implementing standard operating procedures is an asset
- Ability to work independently is a must
- Ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects at once is a must
This is a full time salaried position. Perennia offers a competitive compensation package based on the candidate’s skill and experience. This includes base salary, benefits, employer matching RRSP plan, personal days and three weeks’ vacation to start.
To apply for this exciting new position at Perennia, please email a combined PDF or Word cover letter noting compensation expectations to Claudette Rogers, Human Resources Specialist by noon on February 15th, 2019.
Only those granted interviews will be contacted. For more information about Perennia visit their website at www.perennia.ca
Perennia is an equal opportunity employer
Job Type: Full-time
- Analytical Chemistry: 2 years (Required)