The Core Purpose of the Ottawa Mission is to reflect Jesus’ love in serving the homeless, the hungry, and the lost.
Our Mission is to by provide food, shelter, clothing and skills, and offer healing, faith and hope for building a wholesome life.
Vision & Values
Our Vision is to become a collaborative leader and innovator in empowering those we serve in transitioning to wholeness.
Our Values are Acceptance, Respect, Compassion, Integrity and Independence
The Assistant Manager of Frontline Services is responsible for assisting the Manager of Frontline Services with day-to-day operations of the Frontline Services department. This includes, but is not limited to: supporting the Manager of Frontline Services in managing and leading the Frontline Team, liaising with Frontline Supervisors to ensure the efficient running of the department.
The Assistant Manager of Frontline Services, in partnership with the Manager of Frontline Services, assumes a leadership role in the implementation of the strategic direction in moving The Ottawa Mission towards being a viable transition centre for those we serve; ensuring the programs and services of the Frontline will support clients through their transition and enable them to reach their maximum potential. He/she is also responsible for supporting the Manager of Frontline Services plan, develop, implement, evaluate and maintain Frontline services programs.
This position works in partnership with the Manager of Addiction Services, the Manager of Housing Services and the Manager of Client Services.
Scope & Dimension
The Assistant Manager of Frontline Services supports the Manger of Frontline Services in staff management responsibility for (currently) 4 Supervisors, 12 full-time employees and 15 to 20 contract and casual employees. He/she assists in providing managerial direction and leadership to the team.
The Assistant Manager of Frontline Services must support the Manager of Frontline Services develop and direct the implementation of the frontline service components of The Ottawa Mission’s Strategic Plan. He/she must assist with the development of an accountability framework structure that will evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of programs, their service components and impact on the clients, other departments and the community.
The Assistant Manager of Frontline Services, as part of the accountability framework structure, will work with the Manager of Frontline Services to prepare a written workplan that will outline all activities in Frontline Services. He/she provides recommendations to The Manager of Frontline Services.
The Assistant Manager of Frontline Services is a team-oriented person, responsible for building and fostering solid relationships, networking opportunities and communication strategies both internally within The Ottawa Mission and externally with the community at large.
The Assistant Manager of Frontline Services solves problems by considering courses of action within the framework of existing policies and procedures. They know what needs to be accomplished but can decide how to accomplish it. He/she may deal with problems that involve interpretation and analysis to solve.
The Assistant Manager of Frontline Services needs to be aware of the Manger of Frontline Services well prepared plans for the current quarter and have a clear sense of what is to be accomplished in the year to come. There is periodic supervisory review of on-going processes and results of completed work. Limitations exist in the freedom to act mainly as a result of the need to perform tasks in the same way as they have been performed in the past.
Assistant Management (This includes participating in the full employee lifecycle – from hiring to termination)
- Participate as part of the Management Team, lead by example and reflect the values of The Ottawa Mission
- Attend and actively contribute in management or organizational meetings and forums
- Participate in special assignments or projects as directed by the Manager of Frontline Services
- Promote and ensure adherence of Human Resources and Ottawa Mission policies and procedures, including health and safety and diversity in the workplace with direct staff and ensure they fulfill their requirements for annual compliance training
- Assisting the Manager of Frontline Services in fostering a team environment by assisting in providing new employees with department level orientation, supporting frontline staff in the identification of learning and development needs/opportunities and regularly meeting with them to discuss department initiatives and general organizational happenings
- Staying up-to-date on formal and informal industry trends on education, certification, etc.
- Assist in initiating concrete and measurable goals and objectives for frontline staff and provide guidance, coaching, motivation and support in attaining these goals
- Proactively identify, communicate and manage people issues (performance, behavioral, personal, etc.) and, in collaboration with The Manager of Frontline Services and Human Resources and using progressive discipline if necessary, work with the employee to bring forward solutions; providing regular, timely and specific feedback on the quality of work completed
- Assisting the Frontline Manager in the Annual Performance Review
- Ensure an atmosphere of mutual respect and positive working relationships among clients, staff, public, police, health facilities, other shelters and other community organizations
- Ensure all Ottawa Mission and Frontline policies and procedures are adhered to, taking corrective action when needed
- Primary point of contact for emergencies during off work hours when on call
- Ensure crisis/conflict situations are mediated with the use of non-violent intervention techniques, taking corrective action as needed
- Assist the Frontline Manager, with input from Frontline staff, in developing, criteria for serving clients in a compassionate, dignified and equitable manner
- Assist in ensuring, in conjunction with Housing Services, Client Services and Addiction & Trauma Services, appropriate client referrals are made
- Assist in maintaining and updating frontline policies and procedures
- Assist in ensuring the safety and security of clients, staff and Ottawa Mission property and buildings, verifying procedures are in place and up to date
- Ensure the confidentiality and privacy of clients, staff, volunteers and donors at all times
- Meet with shift supervisors on a regular basis to determine status of timed out clients and to ensure that clients are reinstated in an appropriate and timely manner?
- Assist the Manager of Frontline Services in administering the maintenance and use of all Frontline Walkie-Talkies and other Frontline equipment
- Review, update and follow-up on an on-going basis Shelter Registry memos
- Ensure the handling of all client medications, mail, cheques and monetary and gift-in-kind donations through the front desk are carried out in accordance with established policies and procedures and take corrective action as needed
Communications & Delivery of Service
- Maintain daily contact and communication with the Manager of Frontline Services and Frontline Services staff, addressing issues as required, while encouraging individual self-reliance and judgment skills
- Initiate and maintain ongoing communication exchanges with the shift supervisors in regards to information and issues regarding the community, clients or Frontline operations
- Maintain awareness of and accountability for all issues pertaining to frontline on an ongoing basis
- Brief shift supervisors on appropriate updates and follow-up
- Support the Manager of Frontline Services the development and direct the implementation of Frontline service components of The Ottawa Mission’s Strategic Plan
- Support the Manager of Frontline Services in developing an accountability framework structure that will evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of programs, their service components and impact on the clients, other departments and the community. This accountability framework will identify service gaps and duplications in the programs and will provide opportunity for changes to program content in response to the changing needs of the clients, community and/or specific target groups
- As part of the accountability framework structure, support the Manager of Frontline Services in preparing a written workplan that will outline all activities in Frontline Services. Regularly update workplan to allow for changes to programs and staffing and training needs
- In partnership with other department managers, assist in developing and maintaining a communication strategy to support a seamless continuum of care, advocacy and support for The Ottawa Mission clients
- Assist the Manager of Frontline Services in developing, implementing and maintaining a continuous quality improvement process on the delivery of Frontline services. Prepare documentation for Senior Management review on quality improvement process, accountability process, statistical data, funding opportunities etc.
- In conjunction with other assistant managers and managers, arrange for appropriate staff in-services training and awareness sessions on relevant and current issues (i.e., NVCI, ASIST, First-Air/CPR etc.)
- Actively participate in the overall strategic direction to raise awareness of The Ottawa Mission’s work in the community by delivering presentations, giving tours etc.
Budgeting, Scheduling & Payroll
- Assist the Manager of Frontline Services in preparing annual departmental budget in conjunction with the Director of Programs
- Assist the Manger of Frontline Services in maintaining accountability and fiscal responsibility for the budget of the Frontline Services department
- Responsible for the supporting the Manager of Frontline Services in scheduling of frontline staff in a fair, equitable and timely manner
- Assisting the Manager of Frontline Services in reviewing and determining, based on operational needs, approval of all leave requests
- Assisting the Manager of Frontline Services in using schedules, timekeeping punch cards and leave reports review and approve hours for direct staff, dealing with discrepancies as they arise. Input approved hours to be paid to payroll report and ensure timely submission to the Payroll department within established deadlines
- Completion of College or University in related field
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ managerial experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with the vulnerable population
- Experience working in Crisis environments considered an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills along with the ability to build relationships
- Strong skills in critical thinking, decision making, analysis, problem solving and organization and planning
- Strong mentorship and training skills
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint)
- Current First Aid CPR Level C Certification with AED
- Non-violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) and suicide prevention (ASIST) instructor certification considered an asset
- Bilingualism considered an asset
- Evening and weekend hours
- On call for emergencies
- Walking 4-6 hours
- Lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Pushing up to 100 lbs.
- Must adhere to strict deadlines and be able to manage and respond to competing priorities
- Must be comfortable working in a challenging environment that has the potential for confrontation and/or exposure to violence
- Ability to Flex schedule when necessary to accommodate the needs of Frontline Services
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $62,000.00-$66,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Wellness program
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
Strident Safety Protocols in place and enforced including full PPE
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Managerial: 3 years (preferred)
- working with Vulnerable Populations: 2 years (preferred)