PARAGON Testing Enterprises operates in the highly competitive and rapidly growing industry for English proficiency tests and their instructional products and services. As a subsidiary of The University of British Columbia located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Paragon aspires for its tests to become the Canadian tests of choice for immigration to Canada and for admission to Canadian universities and colleges.
The successful candidate will join Paragon’s Test Research and Development division and participate in the activities of the scoring team that is responsible for monitoring and release of final test results on Paragon testing products.
The Scoring Assistant will assist the team that is responsible for rater recruitment, monitoring, and training. The scoring team ensures that industry standards are met in terms of rater performance, training materials and programs, and research that supports operational procedures.
This position reports to the Scoring Lead.
The Scoring Assistant’s responsibilities include to:
- Manage raters’ and markers’ workloads using Paragon’s online rating systems.
- Review and release test scores.
- Communicate with raters and markers.
- Schedule group training and calibration sessions for raters and markers.
- Administer raters’ progress through training programs.
- Transcribe recordings of rater discussions.
- Administer the scoring of accommodated versions of Paragon tests.
The Scoring Assistant will also work collaboratively to:
- Prepare and interpret data pertaining to rater performance and scoring operations.
- Write feedback for raters and markers.
- Participate in research projects related to new product development and the validation and improvement of Paragon’s tests.
Qualified candidates will have an undergraduate degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in linguistics, applied linguistics, or a related field. Courses in testing, statistics, and curriculum design are desirable.
Experience and Abilities:
- Knowledge of immigrant and international student issues. Familiarity with ESL, EFL, and/or EAP populations would be an asset
- Excellent clerical and organizational skills with careful attention to detail
- Ability to analyze, initiate, maintain, and improve operational workflows and recording systems
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience working in a dynamic, team-oriented environment
- Advanced computer skills (including Excel)
- Familiar with virtual learning environments such as Moodle
- Ability to quickly learn new software applications
All applicants must:
- Possess a Canadian citizenship, Canadian permanent residence, or have a valid work permit in Canada. Applicants who do not have one of these statuses will not be considered.
Position status: Permanent, full-time
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: Commensurate with candidate’s qualifications
Location: Broadway Tech Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Interested applicants should submit both a cover letter and resume. Applicants should make their interest in the company and position clear in their cover letter, as well as explain why they feel they would be a strong candidate for the position. Resumes should have clear and detailed descriptions of the applicant’s responsibilities for each previous employment held. Starting and ending dates for academic degrees and work experience should be clearly stated in the resume. Applications submitted without both a cover letter and a resume will not be considered.
Interviewing candidates for this position will begin as soon as suitable applications are received. The subject line of the application must indicate the title of the position for which the candidate is applying.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Competition closing date: Until position filled.
Location of position: Broadway Tech Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Job Type: Full-time
- familiarity with ESL, EFL, and/or EAP populations: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Vancouver (Required)