Kiwassa Longhouse Out of School Coordinator August 2021
Kiwassa Neighbourhood House is a multi-service community agency that provides social services and programs to residents in Hastings-Sunrise and Grandview-Woodland neighbourhoods of East Vancouver on the traditional, unceded and occupied territories of the Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh), and xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam) Nations. Since 1951, we have been working in partnership across sectors and disciplines – to create a welcoming place where people can find a helping hand, services they need, and opportunities to be connected and engaged in their community. Drawing on the power and resiliency of our neighbourhood, we work to create a socially just and thriving community where everyone feels valued and secure. Kiwassa has 160 licenced child care spaces in four locations, offering quality childcare to infants, toddlers and school-aged children.
This position plans and directs the program of an inclusive Out of School Care Centre, supervises three part-time staff, and reports to the Childcare Director. The coordinator is accountable for the care of the children, supervision of staff, and have responsibility for daily operations of the centre, including, but not limited to:
· Staff hiring, scheduling, training and development;
· Maintaining positive and professional relationships with employees, families, external consultants, landlord, and other staff in the organization;
· Coordinating, monitoring and role-modelling the provision of a nurturing, inclusive and developmentally appropriate childcare program to meet the needs of school-aged children in a group setting within a safe and healthy environment;
- Planning and implementing activities and experiences for individual and group needs of all children within a consistent child-centered program environment;
· Following policies and procedures of the organization and the Childcare Department;
· Maintaining and completing administrative tasks in an accurate manner and within prescribed timelines, including staff scheduling, incident reports, files, inventory, supply ordering;
· Following licensing regulations and Kiwassa’s policy/procedures;
· Managing the program budget, paying bills and assisting with registration.
· This position will be directly responsible for ensuring that CCFL licensing standards are met at all times.
· Minimum requirement: Responsible Adult certificate/training; preference given to those with a higher level of training in child development or related field;
· Minimum five years’ experience in a similar or related environment, including at least one year of supervisory experience;
· Minimum three years’ experience supporting children with specific inclusion needs;
· Current First Aid Certificate;
· Strong abilities and experience in team leadership and staff supervision – minimum one year experience as a leader in a similar environment;
· Proven ability to work effectively with diverse populations;
· Excellent communication, writing, planning, computer skills and problem solving abilities;
· Knowledge of community resources;
· Class 4 driver’s license, or willingness to obtain immediately.
Remuneration: $24 - $27/hr
This position offers an excellent extended health plan, sick days, professional development days and funding, four weeks’ paid vacation, and an annual RRSP contribution.
Hours: 29 – 35 hours/week, including some split shifts - morning shifts (7:30 – 9:30 am) and all afternoon shifts (2:00 – 6:00 pm).
Closing Date: September 12, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $24.00-$27.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
Our COVID-19 protocols follow childcare guidance provided by the BC CDC and are updated regularly.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Vancouver, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Out of School care: 3 years (required)
- Responsible Adult certificate (or higher certificate) (required)