Chronic Disease & Injury Prevention
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
CDIP SUMMER CO OP STUDENT JOB SUMMARY
Niagara Region currently has three openings for temporary, full-time Summer Students in our Public Health Department.
Community Outreach & Engagement Summer Student (2 positions)
Tobacco Health Promotion Summer Student (1 position)
These positions are available from May 4 – August 21, 2020 in our Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Division.
Summer students work in a wide variety of areas including;
- Health Promotion
- Youth Engagement
- Data analysis
- Project management
- Community outreach or service
- Community development
- Volunteer outreach and coordination
- Coordinating and attending community events
- Report writing
- Research and literature reviews
Hours of work for all positions are 35 hours/week.
Shifts will vary depending on the work and will include weekends.
- Must be enrolled in/returning to full-time post-secondary students in September 2020 upon completion of summer employment
- Strong understanding of health promotion
- Knowledge of Social Determinants of Health and Health Equity
- Good understanding of Niagara’s health status
- Youth Engagement Principles
- Understanding of quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Customer service skills
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as self-directed and/or with minimal supervision
- Computer skills
- Project management
- Critical appraisal skills
- Time management
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to motivate and lead groups of youth
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills
- Must be able to start full-time work by May 4, 2020
- Must be able to work the hours and duration of work outlined in the posting
- Must be enrolled in/returning to full-time post-secondary studies September 2020
- It is the employee’s responsibility to possess and maintain a valid and restriction-free driver’s license
- Access to a reliable vehicle for travel to various work locations
JOB SUMMARY - COMMUNITY OUTREACH & ENGAGEMENT SUMMER STUDENTS (2)
Under the direction of CDIP staff, the successful candidates will be responsible for coordinating and attending community events, maintenance of displays, scheduling and overseeing youth volunteers, and conducting other health promotion research and activities as required. Candidate must be able to lift 60 pounds, stand for long periods of time and have access to a vehicle that is capable of transporting associated materials (max length approximately 1.57 meters/5 feet). The candidate will travel to various locations across Niagara. Weekend work will be regularly required. This position will also work closely with the water-waste wagon, community organizations and youth volunteers.
The successful applicant will have excellent interpersonal skills and work well with individuals of all ages. He or she will be outgoing, understand youth engagement principles, and have an interest working with the community. The preferred candidate must be currently enrolled in post-secondary education. Volunteer management, coordination, and youth development skills required. Must possess excellent leadership, organization and time management skills
We appreciate receipt of all applications; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be acknowledged.