Advanced Practice Provider (APP), MSK Rapid Access Clinic for Low Back Pain / Inter- Professional Spine Assessment and Education Clinic (ISAEC) – Fee for Service
Job Type: Part-Time Contract (0.1-0.5FTE) – Fee For Service
Scarborough Health Network is inviting applicants based in the Central East LHIN (Scarborough, Durham, Northumberland County, Peterborough City and County, City of Kawartha Lakes and Haliburton County) to become contracted APPs delivering rapid patient assessment, education and self-management advice from their respective practice locations for patients with low back pain.
Scarborough Health Network is recruiting low back pain Advanced Practice Providers (APPs). As a member of a RAC, the APP will act as the first and primary point of contact for consultation and assessment of referred patients, provide a defined program of care to the patient with an emphasis on education, self-management and health promotion strategies, develop a collaborative care plan with the patient and their primary care provider and document progress against the care plan, and identify signs and symptoms requiring a change in the plan of care, diagnostic imaging/testing, or referral to a Physician Specialist.
The APP will be connected to a Clinical Sponsor (Physician Specialist) and Practice Leader who will provide clinical guidance and advanced low back pain education. Additionally, all APPs will be connected through a centralized referral and case management system. Please note that successful candidates must complete both practical (in person 2 days/week for 3 weeks) and theoretical training (1 week online) in low back pain topics.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
1. Expert Practice
- Act as the first and primary point of contact for consultation and assessment of referred patients with low back pain.
- Provide specialized care, education and counseling for patients.
- Perform a medical history, physical and health status for patients.
- Conduct comprehensive assessment and communication of a diagnosis.
- Determine the suitability and eligibility of patients for surgical assessment.
- Differentiate between inflammatory and non-inflammatory conditions.
- Hold a broad understanding of indications for different evidence-based treatments for low back pain.
- Identify signs and symptoms of undiagnosed medical conditions requiring a referral to diagnostic imaging/testing and/or referral to a Physician Specialist in accordance with established ISAEC guidelines.
- Initiate communication and appropriate surgical and non-surgical referrals based on established ISAEC assessment and referral guidelines.
- Establish, communicate and document clinical impressions/medical diagnoses within defined scope of practice.
- Develop plan of care in collaboration with the patient/family and primary care provider.
- Document plan of care according to established ISAEC guidelines.
- Communicate internally and externally to facilitate plan of care (i.e. other health care professionals).
- Evaluate and revise the plan of care in collaboration with patient/family and primary care provider.
- Communicate specific medical diagnoses to primary care provider.
- Utilize a patient-centered care approach consistent with patient goals, needs and values.
2. Teaching and Learning
- Participate in RAC sponsored regional and central education and training events.
- Collaborate with the RAC team to identify learning needs of patients and primary care providers.
- Provide formal and informal education internally and externally to RAC team members and primary care providers.
- Facilitate knowledge transfer and evidence-based practice.
3. Organization Responsibilities
- Act as an active member of the RAC.
- Accountable to align activities and performance with strategic goals and objectives of the RAC.
- Adhere to the RAC standards, policies and procedures, including centralized referral and clinic management system processes.
- Participate in quality and performance management activities.
- Participate in policy and procedure development.
4. Program Evaluation
- In collaboration with RAC colleagues, you will enable, implement, and conduct evaluations of clinical services related to the program.
5. Perform other duties consistent with the APP role, as assigned or requested.
- At least 4 years of clinical experience following completion of an accredited, entry-to-practice program in a regulated health profession required.
- Including, at least 1 year of clinical experience in the musculoskeletal-spine area required.
- Member in good standing of respective professional/legislative college at the provincial level required.
- Member of related national/provincial professional association preferred.
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract