ADAPT (Halton Alcohol Drug and Gambling Assessment Prevention and Treatment) is one of the largest and most diversified treatment agencies in Ontario. We offer a full spectrum of services to clients experiencing concerns with addictions, mental health or concurrent disorders, as well as to their families and loved ones.
Become part of the ADAPT team; the team that makes a difference, supports its employees in their career development and creates a positive environment to work in.
We are hiring for one (1) Peer Support Worker role in the Youth Program.
REPORTS TO: Youth Program Manager
Job classification: Permanent 1.0FTE or 37.5 hours per week.
SUMMARY: The key role of Peer Support Worker is to support individuals affected by alcohol / drug use and/or those concerned about the use of a friend and/or family member. A critical focus for the work of the peer support worker is to foster hope and assist individuals in establishing their goals and working through their treatment plan. This role involves working with a young population, up to the age of 24.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as a role model in self-care and self-awareness;
- Conduct individual support meetings with clients;
- Co-facilitate education and support groups;
- Work closely with both ADAPT clinical staff and community service partners to ensure comprehensive service to clients;
- Work with ADAPT clinical staff to coordinate care plans;
- Accompany clients to relevant appointments and/or recreational and therapeutic activities in the community;
- Participate in team and staff meetings, supervision and training activities;
- Facilitate linkages for clients to other community resources;
- Serve as a role model for clients in both individual and group settings;
- Assist in program development discussions and activities;
- Maintain accurate, current records of activities with clients as per case recording standards;
- Participate in the Peer Support Worker network meetings and activities;
- Participate in activities to promote community awareness and knowledge of ADAPT programs and services, as well as those activities promoting this new initiative.
Personal experience with substance use/ addictions concerns with or without mental health concerns, and active in your recovery journey
- Experience in peer support with youth is an asset
- Demonstrated period of stable abstinence (minimum 2 years)
- Training in Peer Support Work (Ex. Core Skills SHH/TEACH, Core Essentials OPDI)
- Post-secondary education
- Knowledge of alcohol and/or drug use; an appreciation for and knowledge of mental health issues and their co-existence with substance use;
- Knowledge/familiarity of the mental health, addiction and social service systems;
- Understanding of the rights of people using healthcare services, specifically in mental health and substance use/addictions;
- A willingness to share with others what you have learned in your recovery to inspire hope;
- A willingness to work with a diverse group of clientele (young adults, youth and family members);
- Respectful and aware of client-worker boundaries;
- Comfort with both the harm reduction and abstinence based approaches to addiction treatment;
- Excellent people skills – open mindedness, a non-judgemental approach to support and encouragement, an ability to empathize, strong listening skills;
- Ability to work independently as needed;
- Ability to work as a member of a team of colleagues and professionals;
- A commitment to ongoing professional growth and development;
- Computer proficiency;
- Access to reliable transportation and a willingness to travel;
- Available and willing to work evenings.
ADAPT is a respectful, caring and inclusive workplace committed to Employment Equity. We welcome diversity in the workplace, and encourage applications from all qualified individuals including members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. We will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Applicants need to make their accommodation needs known when contacted.
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Vacation & paid time off
- Life insurance
- Flexible working hours
- Company pension
- Wellness programs
- Company events & social hours
- Employee assistance programs
- Dental care
- RRSP Match
- Casual dress
- Disability insurance
- Education reimbursement
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Peer Support Work: 1 year (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19