The VSA builds public confidence in the motor dealer industry in BC by engaging and educating industry and consumers, ensuring a safe and reliable motor vehicle buying experience.
As an independent, non-profit, regulatory agency that oversees the sales of personal-use new and used vehicles, the VSA:
- licenses motor vehicle dealerships, salespeople, broker agents, broker agent representatives, and wholesalers
- provides licensing courses and continuing education for VSA licensees
- offers consumer information and assistance
- investigates consumer complaints and provides dispute resolution
- undertakes compliance action as needed
At the VSA, we build public confidence in the motor dealer industry in BC by engaging and educating industry and consumers, ensuring a safe and reliable motor vehicle buying experience.
What is the Role?
The Manager of Investigations plays a leadership role in the delivery of the VSA’s Purpose to build public confidence in the motor dealer industry in BC by engaging and educating industry and consumers, ensuring a safe and reliable motor vehicle buying experience.
The Manager directly supports the team, as well as the Director of Operations, in managing workflow and daily operations, planning strategic direction, and leading the learning and development of the team.
What You'll Do:
- Lead, manage and oversee the Investigations team to ensure investigations are completed in a consistently fair, thorough, objective, and professional manner – wherever needed within the Province.
- Manage the performance management system for the department, which includes setting team and individual objectives monitoring team and individual performance, providing feedback when required and partaking in ongoing coaching and development.
- Monitor and ensure the department is meeting the VSA Investigations Department’s service standards.
- Review, analyze and identify investigations plans and determine methodology and techniques with the team.
- Write detailed, high quality reports and correspondence setting out facts of a case cogently, objectively, and accurately and in appropriate detail, and promote the VSA’s mission and mandate in all communication with consumers and stakeholders of the automotive industry.
- Lead or participate as a team member on complex investigations, ensuring investigation is completed thoroughly and on time.
- Prepare and present submissions before the Registrar in a professional, objective, and unbiased manner.
- Work collaboratively with the Industry Standards Team to proactively promote voluntary compliance within the Province.
- Actively participate as a member of the VSA Leadership Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Is this a Good Fit for You?
The Manager of Investigations will be an integral member of the management team, who is responsible for leading our team of Investigators. The investigators work both independently and within a team environment to investigate a wide range of issues, such as consumer, advertising and other complaints or unlicensed activity within the Province. There is a great deal of challenge in this role as it requires confidence, independent action, initiative, a sense of urgency, and the ability to make decisions and take responsibility for them.
Your Experience and Educational Background
The ideal candidate brings the requisite leadership capability, and passion and commitment to help lead the VSA in the Investigations department to achieve the organization’s purpose and goals. While it is understood that a candidate may not possess all the competencies noted below, it is expected that over time, the candidate will demonstrate most, if not all, of these aspects:
- A University degree in a field related to one or more of the following: law, social science, political science, psychology of public administration or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- A minimum of three years’ experience (within the last five years) in a related field as an investigator who is part of a major investigation team responsible for conducting serious or complex investigations leading to judicial or quasi-judicial sanctions
- Preferred - Experience in conducting investigations within a regulatory environment applying consumer protection legislation.
- Preferred - Experience and formal training in leadership and management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, conflict management, and leadership capabilities
- Strategic approach to problem solving and case management
- Self-motivated and able to manage time and workload pressures independently
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to network professionally with the public, automotive industry stakeholders, law enforcement and Government agencies
- Ability to create and maintain a positive work environment
- Ability to organize and manage large volume investigative files
- Experience working with Legislation, Acts and Regulations
- Ability to work from home from time-to-time (remote)
- Computer skills including word processing and use of databases such as Microsoft’s Customer Relations Management (CRM) system
You Possess the Following Competencies
- Superior organizational & time management skills
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence, initiative & confidentiality
- Ability to adapt quickly to change and deal with overlapping or changing priorities.
- Effective collaboration skills
Benefits of Working at the VSA
Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions and employer matching towards your RRSP. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits.
The VSA is a place where you can build your career. You’ll work with a dedicated, passionate team that strives to bridge the gap between industry and the regulator, all while embracing a collaborative and innovative approach! Consider joining a strong, committed team with access to programs, and activities that support a healthy work-life balance and fosters individuality and diversity.
All applicants must undergo a criminal background check, pass a skill/knowledge test, should have knowledge of the role of regulatory organizations, and preferably knowledge of the Motor Dealer Act and other relevant consumer protection legislation.
We thank all candidates for applying; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Currently, our office is closed to the public and we are operating with minimum number of employees in the office. All employees complete daily Covid-19 screening. Employees that are in the office are required to wear masks at all times.
- Investigations: 3 years (preferred)
- Management: 3 years (preferred)