The Ontario Ancestors is seeking an enthusiastic Archives Assistant for a nine week period this summer. Reporting to the Executive Director through the Office Administrator, the individual in the position is funded in part by Canada Summer Jobs Program and applicants must meet Service Canada’s requirements for the program as outlined below.
About Ontario Ancestors
TheOntario Genealogical Society, operating asOntario Ancestors since early 2019, is the largest organization devoted to research into family history in Ontario, Canada. Founded in 1961 as a Registered Charity corporation, the Society has grown by 2020 to include 30 local branches covering all of Ontario and five Special Interest Groups.
- Organize the digitally archived files according to acceptable standards for storing, preserving and maintaining future archival accessibility.
- Create a digital spreadsheet catalogue of the individual family history archives that can be entered into the Ontario Ancestors' research database.
- Collaborate with Ontario Ancestors' staff and volunteers to expand the use of digitization technology and archival best practices in support of Ontario Ancestors' holdings and research in Ontario.
- Other duties as may be required by Ontario Ancestors.
- Preferably enrolled in a Library and Information Science, Archives Records Management, Museum Studies, Public History or related program at the college or university levels.
- This position will provide hands-on experience with the organization, evaluation, and digitization of individual family histories in genealogical research in Ontario.
- Experience and/or interest in working with archival collections.
- Familiarity with digitization hardware would be an asset.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong attention to detail in creating and developing archival record keeping.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small office team
Canada Summer Jobs Applicant Requirements:
To be eligible, students applying for this position must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year, and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment; and
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with provincial regulations.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $15.00 /hour
Reference ID: Achives Assistant - 2020
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $15.00 per hour
- Flexible Schedule
- Work From Home
This position will work remotely.
- related: 1 year (Required)