Administrative Assistant, Allied Health, Diabetes
(10 month contract/maternity leave)
Contract Full Time Position: 35 hours per week
Contract Duration: February 2020 to November 2020
Salary Range: $21.08 per hour to $25.24 per hour
LAMP Community Health Centre is a multi-service, community based charitable organization that provides a wide range of programs and services to improve a person's health. LAMP uses a co-ordinated approach to connect people to medical services and other programs that build personal resources. By providing services that improve physical, emotional, social and economic well-being, people can better control their health and environment.
The West Toronto Diabetes Education Program (WTDEP) is a partnership of five Community Health Centres in West Toronto and East Mississauga that offers diabetes education and management support to adults and seniors living with Type 2 Diabetes to better manage their condition and prevent complications. Working within an interdisciplinary health promotion framework, the Administrative Assistant supports program activities by organizing and implementing office operations and procedures to ensure day-to-day efficiency.
The incumbent will ensure that all organizational policies are followed.
- Reception duties – handle telephone queries regarding our program, groups.
- Manage and track referrals and register clients in the database(s).
- Book new and follow-up appointments, as well as placing reminder calls for individual and group appointments, arranging translation and interpretation services as needed.
- Check clients in and verify client information in the database and ensure client files are secure, maintained, current and complete.
- Produce mailings, program flyers and related correspondence.
- Fax and photocopy for providers; distribute incoming mail and collect outgoing mail.
- Participate in the planning, implementation and follow-up of Outreach activities – update monthly calendar.
- Monitor medical waste pick up and arrange for sooner pick-up as needed.
- Ensure invoices are received, authorized and sent to LAMP for payment.
- Maintain adequate supply of education/teaching tools, medical equipment, TTC tokens, food vouchers, and office supplies.
- Maintain monthly calendar and submit to LAMP.
- Maintain social media accounts
- Manage Petty cash – submit expenditures to Director.
- Provide feedback and suggestions to staff and administration regularly.
- Clean/sanitize the waiting area and maintain with client education materials/bulletin boards.
- Participate in team and LAMP all staff meetings regularly.
- Provide consistent administrative support to the Director of Allied Health.
- Other related duties as assigned by Director of Allied Health.
- College diploma in office administration or equivalent in experience.
- Three to five years’ experience in community-based office setting is an asset.
- A background or interest in health promotion and/or diabetes education.
- Superior problem solving skills and flexible, with the ability to prioritize and time manage in a very busy & demanding office environment.
- Ability to multi-task and provide support for several locations simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively across all levels of the organization’s diverse workforce.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to clearly convey information and ideas.
- Positive attitude and dependable with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Open minded, eager and willing to constantly learn and improve oneself.
- Knowledge of LAMP Community Health Centre, the South Etobicoke community, and/or a second language that is reflective of the community being served are all preferable asset.
- Respect for people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Proficiency in the Following Computer Skills
- Solid working knowledge and ability to navigate a PC windows environment, including shared drives.
- Strong skills and experience using Microsoft applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint & Publisher).
- Strong skills and ability to easily navigate the internet/intranet environment.
- Ability to learn new software quickly and willingness to continuously develop technology skills.
- Experience and accuracy using database applications (i.e. Electronic Health Records – Purkinje & Nightingale, funder databases, etc.).
- Photoshop (Basic skill level) is an asset.
- Work up to one evening per week and up to one weekend per month.
- Working with clients with complex social and medical needs.
- Must be able to multitask, work in a fast paced, multi-faceted environment and make quick decisions.
- Ability to effectively understand the appreciation of guiding fundamentals at LAMP, i.e. Health Promotion, Anti-Oppression; Harm Reduction and the principles of community-based practice, ie: “Walk the talk.”
- There is an expectation for all employees to participate in two events per year for the agency; these events may be during the evening or on a weekend.
- Frequent data entry, with extended periods of time sitting stationary in front of a monitor while keyboarding.
- Ability to balance all job requirements in a busy atmosphere, including responding promptly to all communication.
- Occasional standing for extended period of time and some occasional lifting may be required.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits, and maintains a clean working environment.
- Ensures full compliance with LAMP’s Health and Safety regulations and LAMP’s policies and procedures.
As part of our mandate for inclusivity, reasonable accommodations can be made for all incumbents to perform the described physical functions of the aforementioned job.
LAMP Community Health Centre is dedicated to achieving a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and encourages applications from equity seeking groups.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Human Resources:
Subject: Job Opening for Administrative Assistant, Allied Health, Diabetes
External Deadline: 5:00 pm on Thursday January 23, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- community based office setting: 3 years (Preferred)
- Etobicoke, ON (Preferred)
- Office Administration diploma (Preferred)