Why work for Lafarge?:
As the global leader in innovative and sustainable building materials, we’re committed to shaping a greener, smarter and healthier world. At Lafarge Canada Inc., safety comes first, collaboration matters and diversity is celebrated with people who share our desire to continually make our materials better.
Do you have the drive, the skills, and the passion to join us?
Lafarge is looking for a safe, reliable, motivated, and flexible individual to join our team to be a General Labourer at our Cawthra Depot in Mississauga. The General Labourer will execute the daily tasks of maintaining the Depot in accordance with Lafarge’s Best Practices and Policies. Employee will be performing various tasks and given responsibilities that the employee can prioritize and execute based on the level of importance at the given time.
Cawthra Depot is our flagship Depot within our Lafarge network in the Greater Toronto Area. We accept, process, and resell clean concrete rubble for construction. We carry various materials from sand and gravel pits, as well as limestone products from quarries. During the winter season, we would sell road salt to landscapers and the general public for consumption.
Location: 2531 Cawthra Road, Mississauga. Ontario.
- Promote safety culture through engagement with employees, JHSC, subcontractors and suppliers, implementation and maintenance of local and regional initiatives with an objective of “zero” safety incidents.
- Administer and promote safety policies, processes and review procedures to ensure that site meets or exceeds all Lafarge and Regulatory guidelines.
- Ensure that the site is kept safe, presentable, and functional.
- Any activity related to maintaining, enhancing, or improving the condition of the depot. Some of the tasks involved include but is not limited to:
- Ensure that site meets or exceeds all Lafarge and Regulatory guidelines. This may include operating a water truck, and/or motorized sweeper to keep fugitive dust from leaving the property.
- Operate a CAT 972/980, CAT 908, forklift to perform ad-hoc activities in the depot. Tasks involved include but is not limited to:
Loading customer vehicles
Managing the concrete rubble pile
Ad-hoc tasks with the internal crushing crew
Perform daily inspections as part of our preventative maintenance program to ensure machine is safe to operate and identify potential issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned to assist in the efficient operation of the site. This may include assisting the Portable Recycling Crushing crew on an as-needed basis.
Applicant must be comfortable on computers to be back up for scale master as needed to cover for vacations and/or sick days
Applicants will be exposed to manual labour that includes heavy lifting, bending, and twisting while being indoors and outdoors under various weather conditions.
Employee will be asked to assist at other depots within the GTA as required. Travel mileage will be compensation. Hours may vary at different locations from home base.
- Night and weekend work may be required for salt shifts over the winter season on a rotational basis.
Relationships with Others Jobs
Reports to the Depot Supervisor
This position requires extensive liaison the Weigh Master, Depot Supervisor, and Depot Manager
Education & Work Experience:
Canadian secondary school diploma or equivalent
Experience managing concrete rubble pile is an asset
Surface Miner Courses are an asset
Loader Operator experience is required
Valid “G” license is required
Knowledge & Skills:
Specific mobile equipment training
Job-Specific Competency Profile (Lominger):
- Timely decision making
- Problem solving
- Time Management
As we are reinventing the way the world builds, we need world-class talent to join our Lafarge Canada team: people who are passionate, driven by curiosity and keen to grow, learn, develop and thrive in our high-performance culture.
Whatever you do, you will make a difference here. Because we know that your passion and curiosity are the natural resources the world needs.
We thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Lafarge is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages the applications from women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Lafarge Canada Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. In Ontario, our organization/business is committed to fulfilling our requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.