Always loved numbers? Want a career where no two days are the same? Then this is the role for you! As a Financial Services Administrator, you’ll help to keep the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) running smoothly. Financial Services Administrators are responsible for some of the most important details in a CAF member’s life, like making sure they get paid and that their benefits are all in order.
Financial Services Administrators are employed at all CAF bases in Canada, on ships and overseas, in support of Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Navy, or Royal Canadian Air Force operations. They may also serve in special operation units, medical organizations, recruiting offices, schools, reserve units, NATO/UN positions and other specialized units throughout the CAF. Opportunities are also available with embassies in countries where Canada has a military attaché.
As a Financial Services Administrator you will provide financial assistance and budget resources support to all military activities.
The primary duties of a Financial Services Administrator are to provide:
- Financial administration and services
- General office bookkeeping
- Accounts payable and accounts receivable support
- Budget management services
To be eligible to apply to the CAF, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen
- be at least 18 years old (17 years old with parental consent), except:
- For the Paid Education programs—you may be 16 years old (with parental consent)
- For the Primary Reserves—you may be 16 years old (with parental consent) and must be enrolled as a full-time student
- have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Québec (some jobs need higher levels of education)
Related civilian occupations
- Financial Records Entry Clerk
- Financial Manager
- Accounting Technician
- Budget Officer
- Cashier Clerk
- Business Planner Technician
- Verification Manager
Basic Military Qualification
The first stage of training is the Basic Military Qualification course, or Basic Training, held at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. This training provides the basic core skills and knowledge common to all trades. A goal of this course is to ensure that all recruits maintain the CAF physical fitness standard; as a result, the training is physically demanding but achievable.
Basic Occupational Qualification Training
Financial Services Administrator attends the Canadian Forces Logistics Training Centre in Borden, Ontario. Training takes approximately 15 weeks and includes:
- Briefing on financial authority, regulations and financial structure
- Processing vendor invoices, payables and receivables
- Initiating, processing and finalizing claims
- Administering support to operations
- Assisting members with credit card and reconciliation
- Reconciling departmental travel expenditures
- Providing support to personnel management
- Maintaining budgets and business plans
Financial Services Administrators may be offered the opportunity to develop specialized skills through formal courses and/or on-the-job training, including:
- Non-Public Funds Administration
- Aviation Petroleum, Oil, and Lubrication Financial Administration
- Deployed Operations
- Compliance and Verification
As they progress in their career, Financial Services Administrators who demonstrate the required ability and potential may be offered advanced training. Available courses include:
- Verification Manager
- Policy Analyst
- Business Planning
- Civilian Personnel Management
The minimum required education to apply for this position is the completion of the provincial requirements for Grade 10 or secondary IV in Quebec with Grade 10 applied math (math 426 in Quebec) and Grade 10 (secondary IV) English or French. Basic training and military occupation training is required before being assigned.
Join the CAF
To learn more about becoming a Financial Services Administrator, talk to a recruiter at a centre nearest you or call 1-800-856-8488.
Discover over 100 other job opportunities at Forces.ca.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time