Dufferin Oaks is a not-for-profit Long Term Care Home owned and operated by the County of Dufferin under standards established by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. The home is a three-story facility centrally located in the County of Dufferin in the Town of Shelburne. 160 residents call Dufferin Oaks home, living in private, semi-private and standard rooms. Dufferin Oaks provides accommodation, meals, supportive services, socialization and a full range of nursing care services for persons who, for various reasons, cannot live independently in the community.
Reporting to the Program and Support Manager, the Activationist is responsible for ensuring creative and therapeutic programs are developed and implemented to meet the needs, preferences and abilities of all residents.
What you’ll do:
- Planning, organizing and evaluating social, cultural, spiritual, educational, therapeutic, and recreational activities for all residents including regular and special events both inside and outside the facility;
- Directing volunteers and student placements assigned to the Program and Support Services department;
- Maintaining all appropriate documentation associated with Activation which includes assessments, attendance records, progress notes, RAI-MDS assessments and RAPS, and plans of care for each resident;
- Participating in team conferences, meetings, seminars, etc. as required;
- Participating in quality improvement and risk management activities;
- Other related duties, as assigned.
What you’ll bring:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Recreation/Leisure Studies, Therapeutic Recreation, Kinesiology or a related field from a community college or university;
- Minimum one (1) year experience working with seniors, preferably in a Long Term Care Home;
- Class “F” drivers’ license, or willing to obtain;
- Up-to-date First Aide/CPR qualifications;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- A successful criminal reference check including the vulnerable sector screening;
- Demonstrated ability to act with courtesy and respect in dealing with residents, staff and visitors;
- Willingness to work during the week, on weekends and on statutory holidays as assigned;
- An understanding of the aging process.
This is a unionized position.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $25.02 to $27.81 /hour
- DCS / DEC (Required)
- English (Preferred)