Reports to: Production Supervisor
The Packager-Filler sets up and operates their workstation in accordance with established procedures and guidelines. Reads and interprets batch specifications/instructions to select the correct equipment and packaging materials for the product. Fills, secures, and labels containers according to company and/or customer specifications in a quick and accurate fashion. Verifies goods packaged against order information on tablet and delivers the packaged product to the appropriate area. Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) within a food packaging industry. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment.
Essential Job Functions
- Operate machinery used in the packaging process or assist other compounders or packagers.
- Observe equipment operations so that malfunctions can be detected and notify management of any malfunctions.
- Utilize Company proprietary software and internal ERP system to complete daily work.
- Pack products in boxes, pails, or drums as instructed in a timely manner with accuracy.
- Verify label accuracy and apply labels to the correct product and container.
- Lift finished products and packed items, manually or using hoists.
- Count finished products to determine if product orders are complete.
- Maintain clean/safe work areas, machines, equipment, and product packaging according to safety and quality standards (proper GMP’s and sanitary procedures).
- Replenish supplies as needed.
- Share duties of disposing of office trash and recyclables and restocking supplies in the restroom, break room areas and on the production floor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma (or GED) or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Work Experience: 0-2 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Industry Knowledge: Food manufacturing or packaging experience helpful, but not required.
Winning Behaviors, Competencies, and Skills
- Accountability – Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Accuracy – Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Adaptability – Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Communication, Oral – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Detail Oriented – Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Energetic – Ability to work at a sustained pace and produce quality work.
- Ethical – Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Focused – Directing one’s attention, to concentrate on the task at hand and complete
- Initiative – Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
- Interpersonal – Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
- Organized – Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Reliability – The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Safety Awareness – Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
- Time Management – Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
- Working Under Pressure – Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
Personality and Communication (soft skills):
- Must possess strong work ethic, high character and be passionate about serving others.
- Ability to multi-task and perform accurately in stressful situations is ideal.
- Attention to detail is critical.
- Strong interpersonal skills are necessary as this position involves intense teamwork.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Ability to utilize tablet and internal company software for daily work.
- Must be able to lift up to 100 lb. on an occasional basis.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lb. on regular basis
- Must be capable of completing training in:
- Forklift Training
- GMP Training
- Knife Policy Training
- BioSecurity and Food Defense Training
- Any other training needs that arise
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.