Why work at Heartland Generation Ltd?
The Heartland Generation team is always looking for power players who share our values and can contribute to the spirit of a forward thinking, proactive, agile and professional team that puts customers first.
As we shape the Heartland Generation story, we embrace our roots and are inspired to create a dynamic, fresh company. We’re building our foundation of operational excellence and defining our unique place within Canada’s energy markets.
As a group of passionate team members, we provide safe, reliable and affordable energy to our customers. With integrity, agility and a deep dedication to building trust, we’re here to power and empower the lives of our team, our customers and the communities where we live and work. If you’re looking for a career with purpose, join our team.
How do you fit in?
Reporting to the Manager, Risk, the Risk Analyst will be responsible for performing all day to day accounting activities related to settlement and derivatives required in our energy marketing business. This includes overseeing the invoicing process and risk related reporting of our derivative positions. This individual may also be involved in other special projects including, but not limited to, middle office reporting, credit and other finance related activities.
What you’ll be doing:
- Performing the accounting and reporting function for all derivatives.
- Ensuring all transactions, executed by the Trading group, are accurately captured in the Company’s trade database and confirmed with all parties within the allocated timeframe.
- Ensuring all trading documentation is properly documented and signed off by designate.
- Managing the company’s relationship with external counterparties related to commodity settlements, discrepancy resolution and cash management.
- Calculating, analyzing and recording monthly unrealized/realized gains or losses into the company’s general ledger.
- Completing monthly account reconciliations.
- Assisting with the preparation of both external and internal quarterly reporting. This includes disclosure for financial statements and the analysis of actuals versus annual budget and forecasts.
- Assisting in the implementation of controls and processes on new initiatives around settlement projects or deals presented by the Trading group.
- Accounting activities that support the Finance Group such as, but not limited to, invoice preparation and government reporting.
- Supporting the Risk Management and Trading teams by providing information as required.
- Supporting the credit review process including assessing the credit risk of current and potential counter-parties.
- Assist with other duties and projects as required.
What you must have:
- Bachelors’ degree in Business, Commerce or related discipline.
- A professional accounting designation.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working in a professional, accounting capacity.
- Detailed knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), the handbook and its application.
- Past experience and familiarity with billing and settlement functions.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex problems.
- Ability to manage and analyze large amounts of data.
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Advanced MS excel skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal with people at all levels of the organization and with multi-disciplinary work teams.
- Proven business acumen, a proactive approach to issue resolution, and a commitment to excellence and innovation.
- Previous experience in the power generation industry is preferred.
Where you’ll be working:
This position is located in our Head Office in Calgary, Alberta.
During the current COVID19 pandemic, consistent with the guidance provided by Alberta Health Services, Heartland Generation is currently practicing physical distancing by having all non-essential employees work from home and/or remotely. When it is safe to do so, employees will return to their regular operational location including the Devon Tower.
Ready to join our team?
Please submit your resume in confidence to our Human Resources team.
This position requires the satisfactory completion of background and education verification checks.
We appreciate your interest in working with us, but only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Reference ID: HG136
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Previous Power Generation: 1 year (Preferred)
- Working in a Professional, Accounting Capacity: 3 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Professional Accounting Designation (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19