Do you have a passion for parks, nature, and outdoor recreation that you want to share? Do you want to work outdoors in one of BC's beautiful Provincial Parks? We are recruiting BC Parks Discover Parks Ambassadors to welcome visitors to our parks this summer.
Title: Golden Ears Park Operator led BC Parks Discover Parks Ambassadors
Reports to: Park Operations Manager
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Golden Ears Park Operator is hiring Discover Parks Ambassadors to be the first point of contact for many park visitors at busy BC Parks this summer at park access points. The Discover Parks Ambassadors program is a BC Parks Foundation initiative to provide outreach and education to park visitors. The Discover Parks Ambassadors will enhance the park visitor experience by sharing their passion for BC Parks, knowledge of the park, and important safety and conservation information. The goal of the Discover Parks Ambassador program is to provide a high quality, safe and enjoyable experience for park visitors, by providing BC Parks specific responsible recreation messaging and Adventure Smart safety information, and promotion of the citizen-science iNaturalist program to park visitors.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Welcome park visitors to the park and provide park-specific information,
Engage and share information with a diversity of park users, and adapt information delivery depending on park visitor experience or specific needs,
Respond to enquires from park users in a professional and informative manner,
Provide education to park users, including:
- Be an ambassador for preparedness in the outdoors to ensure the safety of park users in the backcountry
- Park specific information – may recommend trails, viewpoints, or camping locations depending on skills, level of preparation, and experience of the park visitor
- Share WildsafeBC information to encourage park visitors limit impacts on wildlife
- Promote the BC Parks iNaturalist project and related citizen science initiatives, as needed.
- Develop an interest and research the flora, fauna and invasive species in the assigned region and parks and share this information with park visitors.
- Informing guests of park regulations, policies and rules
Ensure the safe use of all required machinery and equipment, including company vehicles,
Follow proper record-keeping procedures,
Open and close designated park gates to the public as required,
Call in assistance from other agencies as required, e.g., Police, Fire, Ambulance, BC Parks per park policies and training,
Maintain a high level of communication between co-workers, the Park Manager(s), Area Manager, BC Parks Rangers, and BC Parks Recreation Services Officer,
Maintain a safe, inclusive, and positive work environment,
Monitor happenings in the park, report, and respond appropriately,
Ensuring that all park visitors have the best experience possible,
Compile daily statistics on visitor interactions,
Other related duties as required.
Follow all COVID-19 safety plans and Provincial health orders
Park-Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Discover Parks Ambassadors will inform and educate park users on any relevant park information, and be an ambassador for backcountry preparedness and outdoor safety.
Skills & Abilities
- Good public relations and guest service skills and experience required.
- A love for the environment and the ability to share that passion and knowledge with the public
- Comfortable making presentations, talking to park visitors, showing hands-on activities and leading interpretive tours
- Preference will be given to candidates who can speak a second language in addition to English including one of the following languages: Punjabi, Tagalog, Cantonese and Mandarin
- Preference may be given to candidates with experience with Indigenous and/or other diverse cultures (this includes learning and/or applying information and practices of your culture or that of another culture)
- Must enjoy sharing information and knowledge with people
- Must have a passion for parks and outdoor recreation
- Resourceful, and able to work independently with minimal supervision in remote locations.
- Ability to be proactive in completing and responding to tasks and duties as required.
- Ability to enforce Park rules to gain voluntary compliance in an effective, calm manner.
- Valid B.C. Drivers License required.
- Ability to keep organized and detailed records regarding park usage, park incidents, etc.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Knowledge of safe backcountry travel in all seasons.
- Ability to be a supportive team member.
- Previous experience working in the Outdoor Recreation industry.
- Knowledge of BC Parks and its applicable regulations, acts, laws, and policies.
- Must be able to walk up to 5 kms per day.
- Standing up to 8 or more hours per day.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts including early shifts, day shifts, evening shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Calm demeanor with the ability to respond to emergency situations in a professional manner.
Terms and Conditions
- Seasonal F/T Position paid hourly from June 7th to September 30th, 2021.
- Must be able to attend a virtual training session via webinar during the week of June 7th to June 11th. Must be able to attend from home using a personal computer or device. Fieldwork in the park will start on June 14th.
- Possibility of additional work after September 30th.
- Uniform is provided.
- Own vehicle is required to travel to and from the marshaling area(s).
- Company truck provided to travel to the trailheads.
Expected start date: 2021-06-07
Job Type: Full-time
Schedule: Day shift including weekends
Licence/Certification: BC Drivers Licence (required)
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
Please submit cover letter, resume and supporting documents in MS Word or PDF format by email, and include “Discover Parks Ambassadors” in subject line. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Contract length: 3.5 months
Application Deadline: 2021-06-01
Expected Start Date: 2021-06-07
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $17.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
Personal protective equipment provided
Social distancing guidelines in place
Sanitizing, disinfecting or cleaning procedures in place
- BC Drivers License (required)