Irving Shipbuilding is proud to be Canada’s National Shipbuilder. Over the next 30 years, our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of the largest defence procurement project in Canadian history.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on these vessels.
We are committed to building the best ships, with the best workforce in the best facilities. By joining our team of more than 2,300 shipbuilders, you can enjoy a dynamic, diverse, and family-friendly career with a company dedicated to your success, learning, health, wellness, and safety.
At Irving Shipbuilding, we’re making history – why not make it with us?
Learn more about careers at Irving Shipbuilding: shipsforcanada.ca/opportunities
Irving Shipbuilding is seeking Spray Painters for future opportunities.
The rate of pay for these positions is $40.25 per hour, as per our current Collective Agreement.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required: High School Diploma
- Years of Experience Required: 5-8 + years
- Ability to work with different types of materials or products such as general metal products, construction materials or coatings
- Complete understanding of spray painting equipment, painting and general labour skills
- Must be able to wear respiratory protection as required
- Must be capable of working at heights and in confined spaces
- You must be eligible to work in Canada to apply for this job
- A pre-employment physical is required
- A background check will be performed by the Employer
- Physical effort and work conditions:Work at heights from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms
Stand, stoop, bend, kneel, and climb
Work in confined spaces and inclement weather
Support extended hours and overtime as business needs dictate
Work may be performed indoors and outdoors
Frequently handle, lift, carry, and set up parts and equipment that weigh up to fifty (50lbs) pounds
Occasionally lift and carry items that weigh over fifty (50lbs) pounds
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Spray painting marine and industrial coatings to a specified application requirement
- General surface preparation and painting
- Work setting experience: shipbuilding and repair, steel industry
- Type of materials or products: general metal products, construction materials or coatings
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- RRSP matching program
- Health & Wellness reimbursements
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our qualified ISI Talent Acquisition Specialists. If they see a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $40.25 per hour
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Relocation assistance
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Halifax, NS: reliably commute or be willing to relocate with an employer-provided relocation package (preferred)
Work Location: In person