About NPower Canada
At NPower Canada, a charitable organization established in 2014, we are on a mission to help as many young people as we can by providing them with the technical and soft skills they need to secure employment in the technology field, often lifting themselves and their families out of poverty.
We provide an all-encompassing program that teaches in-demand technical and soft skills as identified by our employment partners from banks to startups. We take our program - and our youth - to the next level by including one-on-one and group coaching that builds business communication and customer-facing skills as well as addresses mental health and other societal obstacles that may impede completing certification. Our goal is to connect at least 80% of our program graduates to new and rewarding career opportunities with some of Canada’s largest employers, supporting all of our alumni with ongoing mentorship and placement support for five years after they complete our program.
Our unique approach to workforce development has seen over 1400 youth graduate from our programs in the last 5 years. In addition to growing our current capacity, we are scaling our model to include alumni education programs through a $2.5 million grant from Google.org and a new reskilling program. To support our growth within the GTA, in Calgary and soon in Halifax and Vancouver, we are adding passionate, collaborative, motivated, and compassionate team members to our offices.
Right now, we are searching for an Outreach and Engagement Specialist to join us in our expansion to Halifax in 2020!
Who we need
We have have have a permanent, full-time opportunity for an Outreach and Engagement Specialist who wants to be a part of a dynamic, cross-functional team, overseeing our intake and admissions process for young adults. You will work collaboratively to grow a continuous, reliable stream of eligible, suitable and motivated applicants into NPower Canada’s programs. This involves following up with NPower Canada program applicants at each stage of the admissions process, providing coaching and encouragement to increase applicants’ confidence and motivation while minimizing and preventing drop-off.
Who you are
You want to make an impact. You are a well-rounded Outreach and Engagement Specialist who can recruit participants from all walks of life and support the enrollment goals for NPower Canada’s programs and services. You can comfortably present, in person or virtually, to referral partners, attend events and conduct outreach to meet our recruitment targets. You believe in fostering a partnership with your team and participants, engaging and empowering them in thoughtful and creative ways, motivating them to overcome obstacles and reach their full potential.
What's in it for you
Purpose. This is an outstanding opportunity to see the tangible results of the work you do as we transform the lives of our participants. This is a genuine chance to make an impact on someone's life, empowering them to contribute to their community as they learn relevant skills for the future of work.
Vocation fulfillment. This is a chance to work with individuals seeking opportunities to update their skills and take the next step in their careers. It's an exciting opportunity to develop and evolve programs that are directly responding to the needs of our communities. No two days will be the same.
Growth potential. You will have ongoing opportunities to achieve technical certifications and learn new ways of delivering content to your participants. The chance to move up exists as we expand our program offerings. Over 75% of our staff have grown their capacity and moved up in roles and responsibilities since starting here. If you are passionate about our purpose, you will find a fulfilling career path here.
Exposure. You will have the opportunity to work with leaders, team members and partners to learn more about the skills they are seeking in new hires. You will deliver engaging and interactive virtual information sessions to youth and community partners, effectively promoting NPower Canada programs and services.
How you will make an impact:
Youth Outreach and Engagement Activities. You will achieve recruitment and enrollment target outcomes as established by the Outreach and Admissions team for NPower Canada’s programs and services. You are comfortable engaging youth from diverse communities facing multiple barriers to employment both online and in-person. You will:
- Support the planning and promotion of outreach initiatives such as webinars, online meet-ups, monthly open houses and regional partner events.
- Regularly reach out to prospective non-profit organizations, government agencies and departments, schools and other potential referral partners.
- Distribute online and print marketing materials to libraries, community centres, non-profits, schools, drop-in centres, shelters and other spaces serving youth.
Build and nurture a team. You will coach and mentor frontline staff in effective program delivery, participant management strategies, and core elements of program delivery, such as issue resolution, crisis intervention, facilitation, lesson planning, teaching, and providing warm and appropriate referrals.
Applicant Communication and Support. You will work with the Recruitment and Admissions teams to ensure that enrollment targets are achieved with the most suitable youth. You will:
- Assist with conducting interviews with program applicants, assessing eligibility and suitability, verifying documents and logging notes including recommendation for admission.
- Provide support, guidance and encouragement to applicants throughout the admissions process, from online applications to interviews to offers of admission.
- Refer unqualified applicants in a diplomatic and sensitive manner to specific referral partner organizations while tracking service coordination data.
Program Evaluation. You will assist the leadership team in collecting data and analyzing qualitative and quantitative program outcomes. You will:
- Conduct quarterly data review, ensuring completeness and accuracy of data entered regarding key metrics (enrollment, certification, referrals, employment, and graduation outcomes).
- Prepare weekly reports regarding program activities and results, providing feedback to frontline staff regarding case notes and documentation to ensure adherence to best practices.
- Prepare end-of-cohort reports to facilitate reflection on best practices, lessons learned, and outcomes achieved to inform future cohort delivery.
- Cultivate, grow, and steward key employer and stakeholder relationships, supporting marketing efforts with case study identification and other content development.
Team Collaboration. You will lead case conferencing and provide case supervision to the program team, assisting frontline staff with successfully navigating and resolving challenging participant service situations. You will:
- Work to coordinate timely applicant interviews, offers of admission and timely follow-up communications.
- Support management team to effectively resolve issues and respond to sensitive inquiries and concerns from applicants and their families.
- Assist with presentations to youth and community partners
What you bring to the team:
- The education and experience. You have relevant post-secondary education, for example, in social services, employment counselling, promotions or a related discipline and/or 4+ years of experience in a high-volume youth/customer facing role ideally in non-profit or human/employment services.
- The compassion. You exhibit a high level of sensitivity, relatedness, and emotional intelligence. You understand the socio-economic and mental health barriers faced by the youth and community members of all backgrounds, including new Canadians, people with disabilities, LGBTQ, low income, and racialized groups.
- The communication skills. You have exceptional oral and written skills. You are comfortable in face-to-face and virtual meetings, communicating by telephone, in-person, or email to answer inquiries and coordinate details. You can foster and nurture internal and external relationships with participants, colleagues, funders, community and employer partners, and other stakeholders.
- The technical skills. You are proficient with Microsoft Office and ideally, a CRM. You can easily learn new tools.
Why should I join?
Joining NPower Canada is an opportunity to make an I - M - P - A - C - T:
Innovation. You will be part of our continuously evolving purpose, to reflect the needs of our employers and respond to the needs of the youth we support. We are always looking for ways to change, and we want team members to propose and try new ideas.
Motivation. You will make a measurable difference in people's lives. Everything we do and every action we take at NPower Canada is motivated by the chance to change lives.
Passion. You will have the opportunity to channel the desire and drive of the youth we serve. We support youth in overcoming adversity to achieve their career aspirations. The people who make up our teams are genuinely committed to making a difference.
Agility. You will be part of an industry-driven program that is growing strategically. We are always testing and evaluating new curriculum and approaches to programming. We foster a growth mindset and take pride in the way we change lives.
Collaboration. You are all in. And so are we. From admissions to alumni, from operations to fundraising, everyone within the organization works in partnership with each other. We are wholly focused on the opportunity we have to elevate NPower Canada's mission and build a work and life skills program that is unique to Canada.
Tangible outcomes. You will be rewarded personally and professionally as you become a part of the communities we are raising up. What we offer is transformative, and each of us has a chance to see and hear the direct impact we have on the lives of the youth we serve.
Are you ready to make an impact with us?
At NPower Canada, we understand that not everyone acquires their skills and experience the traditional way. If you feel you can make a difference to our team and the communities we serve, and you have 70% of the qualifications listed here, please express your interest. We promise to consider your application.
NPower, Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NPower Canada will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Human Rights Code. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.
In addition, NPower Canada feels strongly that our staff should represent the communities that we serve. Diversity at NPower means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $46,519.00-$56,856.00 per year
- Dental Care
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Care
- Work From Home
- community outreach: 2 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19