Do you love travelling and flying and working as part of a team? A career in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) as an aerospace control operator can give you an opportunity to work onboard aircrafts and conduct other aerospace control services.
Aerospace Control Operators operate radar, computer, communications and other sensor systems for the surveillance and control of airspace.
To be eligible to apply to the CAF, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen;
- be at least 18 years old (17 years old with parental consent), except:
- For the Paid Education programs—you may be 16 years old (with parental consent);
- For the Primary Reserves—you may be 16 years old (with parental consent) and must be enrolled as a full-time student; and
- have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Québec (some jobs need higher levels of education).
Basic Military Qualification
The first stage of training is the Basic Military Qualification course, or Basic Training, held at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. This training provides the basic core skills and knowledge common to all trades. A goal of this course is to ensure that all recruits maintain the CAF physical fitness standard; as a result, the training is physically demanding.
Aerospace Control Operator Training
Aerospace Control Operators attend the Canadian Forces School of Aerospace Control Operations in Cornwall, Ontario. Training takes approximately three months and includes:
- Performing the surveillance function
- Assist with Visual Flight Rule services
- Assist with Instrument Flight Rule services
- Performing the Air Traffic Services function
Aerospace Control Operators may be offered the opportunity to develop specialized skills through formal courses and on-the-job training, including:
- Precision Approach Radar Controller
- Data Systems Coordinator
- Air Communication Control Squadron System
The minimum required education to apply for this position is the completion of the provincial requirements for Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec with Grade 10 applied Math or Math 426 in Quebec. Foreign education may be accepted.
If you already have a university degree, the CAF will decide if your academic program matches the criteria for this job and may place you directly into the required on-the-job training program following basic training. Basic training and military officer qualification training are required before being assigned.
Join the CAF
To learn more about becoming an Aerospace Control Operator, visit www.forces.ca, talk to a recruiter at a centre nearest you or, call 1-800-856-8488.
Discover over 100 different career opportunities at www.forces.ca.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time