Mission Public Schools is now accepting applications for CASUAL Strong Start Facilitator
Under the supervision of the Assistant Superintendent and the school Principal, the Strong Start Facilitator delivers the StrongStart BC Early Learning Centre drop-in program for parents/caregivers with preschool aged children (0-5 years). Parents and/or caregivers will be supported to participate alongside their children using interactive activities that concentrate on key aspects of early childhood development in a play based setting.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure that the programs and activities are developed and maintained in response to the Strong Start BC guidelines
- Create a family-friendly environment that provides safety and security for children and their parents or caregivers.
- Plan and coordinate a variety of daily participant-orientated activities for drop-in clients, and organize special events and information sessions
- Help parents and caregivers to reflect on their child’s current learning and development
- Keep current on early learning and child care issues including participating in training and staff development.
- Establish connections with clients, school staff and community partners to facilitate a smooth transition for families into the formal school system.
- Maintain a working knowledge of community services, resources and supports for children and their families.
- Promote the Program and provide information on other community early learning opportunities to all families throughout the community.
- Assist in the preparation of the budget and purchase/maintain supplies such as arts and crafts, equipment, materials, snacks, etc.
- Maintain daily, monthly and quarterly attendance, statistics and reports as required by the District and the Ministry including attendance, forms, budget, etc.
- Attend, as required, meetings that pertain to Strong Start BC.
- Work closely with and understand the requirements of the school personnel and District and Ministry policy and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
Perform other related duties as may reasonably be expected of a person in this position
- Grade 12 graduation
- Certificate in Early Childhood Education from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Valid Community Care Facilities Branch BC License to Practice (maintain current licenses and certifications to practice)
- Current First Aid certificate
- Valid B.C. Class 5 driver’s license; a driver’s abstract to be provided annually
- A minimum of two (2) years relevant experience including working with diverse ethnic populations
Required Skills and Abilities
- Good organizational and planning skills and
- Ability to communicate effectively and demonstrate good public relations skills
- Understanding and knowledge of child development, family dynamics, community resources and early learning
- Ability to work positively and effectively with a variety of parents/caregivers, children, volunteers, personnel, professionals, community members, and the general public
- Experience in creating, planning, implementing and budgeting for a parent participation early learning program
- Ability to work proactively and in a self-directed manner to foster an atmosphere of trust and respect, to promote awareness of early learning issues and to promote and marker the Strong Start program as required
- Such other qualifications, skills and abilities as may be required to meet Ministry requirements or the terms of the Strong Start contract
- Ability to be flexible and work with minimal supervision
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of school district operations, policies and procedures
Please submit resume and documentation of education to HRsupportstaff@mpsd.ca