*Please apply to job requisition JR2582 on the UBC Careers site https://www.hr.ubc.ca/careers-postings/staff.php by June 21, 2021
About Student Housing at UBC | Vancouver
Student Housing at UBC | Vancouver is the largest residence program in the country and recognized across campus as an integral element of the university community. From the boutique 22-person upper-year residence in the historic Iona Building, to the vibrant 2100-person first-year community in Totem Park, our residences include a wide range of facilities providing homes to students at various stages of their lives and academic careers.
Through the University’s significant investment in student housing, UBC’s program has grown to 14 residences that are home to over 12 000 students from over 140 countries. That growth will continue with the opening of our newest residence in August and the anticipated construction of phase two of Brock Commons beginning this summer.
Our residences are situated throughout the Point Grey campus which is located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) people. We are very grateful for the generous gifts from the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm people of hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ names for several of our residences and to have the opportunity to work with them on artwork and other indigenous story-telling initiatives that deeply enrich the experience of both students and staff.
The campus is surrounded by the beautiful old-growth forests and beaches of Pacific Spirit Regional Park and the Pacific ocean. It's a short bike or transit trip to Kitsilano, English Bay, Granville Island or downtown Vancouver. Campus is also a hub for various car share programs and a short drive from hiking or skiing in the north shore mountains.
Why Work for Us?
· Dynamic, friendly and inspiring workplace environment
· Competitive salary and outstanding benefits
· Generous vacations and leaves
· Development and training opportunities
· Wellness initiatives and a respectful work environment
· Opportunity to work in a variety of stakeholders on Campus
· Full and part-time positions available
· Strong sustainability values and practices
The Front Desk Service Representative position provides customer service and administrative support for the University s residences front desks. The University s residence front desks provide twenty-four (24)
hour service throughout the year. FDSRs act as a primary liaison in residence emergencies. They enhance safety and security by regulating key access and monitoring the residence buildings and properties.
They foster a sense of community and belonging in the residence communities by being the first point of contact for our residents and guests. The position works rotating shift blocks of mornings, afternoons and overnights and monitors both the interior and exterior of the residence building and grounds.
High school graduation plus one year post-secondary education and three years hotel and hospitality industry and customer service experience, or a combination of education and experience.
High School graduation and Minimum: high school graduation plus one year post-secondary education and 3 years hotel and hospitality industry and customer service or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Skills:
1. Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills. Excellent telephone manner required.
2. Ability to provide excellent customer service including being calm, courteous and patient.
3. Proficient in Word, Excel, and Outlook and ability to learn proprietary departmental software.
4. Ability to be responsive to urgent issues and complex situations.
5. Ability to demonstrate excellent assessment skills, flexibility, and organizational skills.
6. Ability to operate a normal range of office equipment.
7. Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
8. Ability to maintain accuracy with great attention to detail.
9. Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
10. Ability to problem solve and to exercise resourcefulness and initiative.
11. Ability to be responsive to urgent issues and situations.
12. Ability to keep sensitive matters confidential.
13. Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact and discretion.
14. Ability to lift and transport parcels, varying in weight, up to thirty (30) pounds.
15. Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
A full list of required skills, qualifications and experience can be found on the job description.
To learn more about Student Housing and Hospitality Services visit http://www.housing.ubc.ca/.
You can also check out the Residence Map http://vancouver.housing.ubc.ca/getting-started/residence-map/ to see where our buildings are located on campus.
Reference ID: JR2767
Contract length: 9 months
Application deadline: 2021-06-21
Expected start date: 2021-08-09
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: From $3,727.00 per month