POSITION: Property Services Assistant
COMPETITION #: LMHC: 2019-52 WAGE RANGE: $24.20-$27.50/hour
POSTING DATE: December 13, 2019 CLASSIFICATION: Band 4
CLOSING DATE: December 20, 2019 LOCATION: 1299 Oxford Street, London, ON
HOURS OF WORK: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday
This is a Full Time Bargaining Unit Position
Who We Are: At London & Middlesex Community Housing, we believe that housing is the foundation of a better tomorrow. LMCH provides 3,282 housing units across 32 properties for more than 5,000 people. Those who call LMCH home are a diverse cross- section of low-income individuals including families, seniors, adults, and new Canadians.
LMCH Mission: We provide and maintain homes in a safe and supportive environment
to meet the needs of the people we serve in our communities.
LMCH Vision: We envision healthy homes and communities in London and Middlesex.
Leading by example. LMCH will help make a difference and positively impact lives using
housing as the foundation.
C*ollaboration | C*ommitment
A*ccountable | A*ccessible
R*espect | R*esponsive
E*quity | E*xcellence
Reporting to the Property Services Manager, the Property Services Assistant will assist and provide support to the Property Services Managers and help ensure the smooth running of the portfolio. The Property Services Assistant will work at the LMCH main office as well as at the various sites and properties. The Property Services Assistant will be responsible for the delivery of the building management audit under the direction of the Property Services Manager which will be carried out monthly and include fire precautions and related administrative tasks, Occupational Health & Safety board, Material Safety Data Sheets, cleanliness and building standards. The role will also be pivotal in the smooth day-to-day running of the portfolio together with providing good quality business intelligence to improve the quality of portfolio management. The Property Services Assistant will ensure the effective administration of small projects with the portfolio and assist in identifying issues and developing solutions.
· Use information from the audit to provide a measure of performance against KPI’s
· Ensure the completeness of statutory records, such as Fire Logs, ESA documentation, etc. Variances to be appropriately escalated for resolution.
· Audit and action out of hour’s reports including preparation of basic incident reports for the City’s risk manager, assist in the reclamation of losses in conjunction with Finance, and maintain insurance loss files.
· Direct routine maintenance requests as appropriate and action non-routine maintenance issues.
· Analyze and identify issues and trends within out of hours service (such as calls of non-emergency nature or that have become an emergency due to lack of diligence).
· Administer small projects and programs such as fire orders, chute service annual fire inspection and issue resolution.
· Administer the information provided by pest control consultants and provide reports as required by the Property Services Manager.
· Screen calls for the Property Services Manager as the first contact for Property Services and deal with any Property Services related correspondence administration, mail, reports etc.
· Administer small work processes beyond normal routine maintenance requests including obtaining competitive quotes as required.
· Maintain an efficient and consistent method of document storage, allowing ease of access for staff for all documents related to departmental operations, system to be primarily digitally based. Develop best practices, information system and “building manuals”.
· To participate in regular building inspections with respect to tenant suites, common areas, landscape and the general grounds, for the purposes of repair and restoration quality control.
· To work collectively with LMCH staff and tenants to resolve problems/concerns and deal with emergencies in a timely and effective manner.
· Demonstrate and promote tenant driven attitude with all staff, tenants and the public.
· Assist in the development and administration of the building audit including a “quality of life index” within the buildings.
· To assist the Property Services Managers with issuing request for quotes, administering small contracts and to assist in approving standard and recurring invoices. This may include specific building related individual projects.
· Promote, implement and maintain safe work practices at all sites.
· Remain current with new technologies, systems and procedures related to property management.
· Ensure LMCH certificates and licenses remain current and appropriately posted.
· Work effectively as a part of a multi-disciplinary service delivery team focusing on the delivery of LMCH‘s Vision and Mission.
· Identify trends and issues adversely affecting the efficient management of the portfolio.
· Troubleshoot or escalate as appropriate, deficiencies in customer service.
· Administer non move-out tenant chargebacks.
· Process work orders, inspection deficiency reports, ESA etc. in a timely fashion.
· Perform other related activities, as necessary or as assigned.
· Carry out all duties to maximize the positive implementation of the Strategic Plan.
· Provide cover as required within the department.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Post-secondary diploma / certificate
· Previous experience (minimum of two years) in a property management environment
· Experience in managing projects such as small construction, completely building pest control, building, and fire or portfolio wide initiatives at the LMCH properties.
· Superior telephone manners and strong interpersonal skills.
· Superior time management skills, multitasking skills and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
· Excellent customer service skills.
· Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
· Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects.
· Highly effective teamwork skills.
· Strong analytical and mathematical skills.
· Must possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a vehicle. Travel will be required within the City of London and/or County of Middlesex.
· Computer literacy, including effective working skills of MS Word, Excel and email required.
· Familiarity with Yardi (or derivatives such as InSite) software considered an asset.
· Experience as a PSA considered an asset
· Experience working in Rental/RGI buildings (i.e. Not just office based) considered an asset
WE CARE PHILOSPHY:
The incumbent contributes and supports the overall culture and working environment of the agency by:
- Working knowledge of cultural, social and demographic patterns relating to vulnerable priority populations.
- Knowledge of and commitment to harm reduction and low barrier service.
- Committed to work in an interdisciplinary, diverse setting.
- Understanding of and sensitivity towards the belief systems of other groups, the complexity of those facing poverty and in need especially as they affect their mental health and behaviour.
- Commitment to non-violent crisis intervention, de-escalation, and supporting tenants.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Demonstrating knowledge and valuing of client’s life situation.
- Working with diverse communities with sensitivity, creativity, innovation, language and cultural understanding in a non-judgmental manner.
POLICE RECORDS CHECK and VULNERABLE POSITION SCREENING:
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate must submit a current Police Records Check and Vulnerable Position Screening from their local police service for approval by LMCH. A current LMCH employee who is the successful candidate for this position must also provide this document unless it is already on file and not more than two years old.
This position will require the incumbent to work in a seated position for most of the day with minimal lifting requirements (mostly paper files), standing is necessary for filing needs. There is minimal exposure to dust, dirt, odours and temperature. Interruptions periodically occur throughout the day by other LMCH employees and the telephone. Exposure to moderate noise, including office equipment and other employees exists. There may be occasional exposure to rudeness or profanity. The role will involve site visits.
Please customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. You must demonstrate how you meet the requirements of this job.
Please send your coverletter and resume to the attention of:
Director, Community Development & Engagement, Human Resources
London & Middlesex Community Housing
1299 Oxford Street East, Unit 5C5 London, ON, N5Y 4W5
A cover letter and resume must be received by 4:30 p.m., December 20, 2019. Late applications will not be considered in the job competition.
Office hours are 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
London & Middlesex Community Housing (LMCH) is committed to equity in employment. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free workplace that reflects the communities we serve.
We will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities at all stages of the hiring process in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Please advise if you require an accommodation during the selection process.
**No phone calls please**
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Life insurance
- Company pension
- Vacation & paid time off
- Employee assistance programs
- Company events & social hours
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $24.20 to $27.50 /hour
- Property Management: 2 years (Required)