BWXT ITG Canada, Inc. provides its customers, who conduct life-saving medical procedures for patients around the world, the benefit of decades of experience in the development, manufacturing, packaging and delivery of medical isotopes and radiopharmaceuticals. Headquartered in Kanata, Ontario, BWXT ITG Canada, Inc. employs over 150 highly-skilled people in Kanata and Vancouver, British Columbia. BWXT ITG Canada, Inc. is part of the BWXT nuclear power segment (NPG) of BWX Technologies, Inc.
Radiation & Contamination Monitor
We are currently recruiting for a Radiation & Contamination Monitor for our facility in Kanata, Ontario.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Radiation Safety and Compliance, the Monitor checks facilities and equipment for radiation fields and radioactive contamination and ensures that radiation and contamination levels are correctly controlled. May include performing the duties of a Decontamination Operator or Helper.
- Responsible for radiation measurement, decontamination and housekeeping in assigned area.
- Monitors movements of active packages, equipment and waste into and out of production facilities for radiation and contamination control.
- Monitors radiation and contamination when potential hazards exist, i.e. opening facility doors, and removing packages, etc.
- Must be familiar with operating contamination/radiation detection instruments, understand that different instruments are used for specific isotopes and which instruments are used for these isotopes as well as the decontamination and disposal techniques to safely control hazards.
- High School completion plus one year as a Radiation Operator.
- Must be capable of working independently and responding quickly to unusual situations.
- This position is classified as a Nuclear Energy Worker.
- Be able to push and pull hand carts with an initial and end force of up to 25kgs on a routine basis.
- Capable of wearing respiratory protection equipment for up to 2 hours.
- Be able to lift up to 5kgs on a frequent basis and 10kgs on an occasional basis.
- Be able to stand for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Must be able to work with arms extended (in fumehoods/gloveboxes while manipulating lab equipment) for up to 15-20 minutes at a time.
- Must be able to remain in a clean room for potentially up to 3 hours at a time.
- Must be able to work a variety of shifts as per the collective agreement, which includes regular scheduled weekend shifts as well as overtime as required.
BWXT ITG Canada, Inc. embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended or any other category protected by federal law.