The CNC Programmer will assist the Manufacturing Specialist with the day-to-day activities of the department which includes assisting in the development, set up, and manufacturing of new assemblies or prototypes, process development, and CNC programming.
The CNC Programmer will work in a proactive manner, create well-developed CNC programs, and will focus on promoting quality, customer satisfaction and expediting production and minimizing any production delays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write and create CNC programs and set-up sheets, upload programs to the machines when required, ensuring all job specifications and engineering requirements are addressed.
- Ensure programs produced are proved and optimized, monitor machining times and if needed optimize the program from time to time by implementing new machining techniques and methods.
- Update and maintain the proven program database to ensure data is current at all times. This involves matching the program revisions against the engineering drawings.
- Maintain the fixtures and design database with drawings and revision levels.
- Perform the duties of the CNC Machinist when required. This involves reading and interpreting engineering drawings and machining processes, computing and verifying dimensions and tolerances and manufacturing parts on CNC machines centers by loading parts, operating controls, determining and setting offsets, de-burring and performing inspection of parts to ensure conformance to drawing and work order specifications.
- Monitor and observe the product-quality process. Collaborate with Quality personnel as required for Quality related issues to ensure an effective resolution.
- Effectively communicate or collaborate with the Manufacturing Specialist, engineers, Quality and other shop personnel to maintain a positive working environment.
- Demonstrate a full commitment to working effectively with the machinists and the Senior Shop Supervisor.
- Train, mentor and provide guidance to other manufacturing personnel as required.
- Maintain a clean and well organized work area.
- Adhere to all department and organizational policies and procedures, including but not limited to all Health and Safety and Quality Management initiatives.
- Other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary.
Knowledge and Skills:
A minimum of 5 years of experience operating CNC machines such as lathes and milling machines in a manufacturing environment is required. Experience must include programming, set-up and operating as well as a familiarity with measuring techniques and the ability to read and interpret engineering drawings. Journeyman level certification in machining would be an asset.
Experience operating Mazak equipment and familiarity with G-code programming would be an asset. Well-developed mechanical and mathematical aptitude and the ability to identify and understand tooling, inserts and fixtures are a must.
Strong attention to detail, the ability to work in a self-directed manner with a commitment towards accuracy and producing quality work with a continuous leaning philosophy is required.
Required skills and competencies:
- Intermediate knowledge and application of precision measuring instruments and the application of such instruments. Instruments should include but are not limited to calipers, ID and OD micrometers, depth gages, indicators and scales.
- Advanced knowledge of reading drawings and specifications with an intermediate understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerance.
- Advanced knowledge of tool holders, cutting tools, boring bars, fixtures, inserts and other accessories used on various machines.
- Ability to detect, isolate and identify irregularities and malfunctions in machinery and equipment.
- Demonstrated aptitude in reading and interpreting blueprints, diagrams, schematics, drawings, manuals and specifications.
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proven interpersonal, relationship building and management skills.
- Familiarity with ISO 9001 Quality Standards and practices.
- Strong commitment to quality, accuracy, and customer satisfaction.
- Working knowledge of Volant specific systems and processes would be a definite asset.
Conditions of Employment:
The ability to work in a moderately physically demanding environment is required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This includes: regularly lifting or carrying up to 50 lbs, walking for long distances, standing for extended periods of time, bending, twisting, kneeling, squatting and performing repetitive tasks for extended periods of time.
Due to the nature of this position, the incumbent may be required to work rotating shifts and occasional overtime may be required.
Volant delivers highly effective equipment and services to provide casing and liner solutions.
Our solutions are simple, affordable, and proven to do more in even the most challenging field conditions.
At our core, Volant is a technology company. We design and manufacture new equipment to make your work productive, safer and easier. We do this through smart-design; it’s our commitment to Doing more with less.
Our ideas come from getting up close and personal with industry challenges; our success from applying the basics simply and effectively to deliver elegant solutions.
Our equipment isn’t just smart, it’s tough enough to withstand even the harshest conditions. We offer robust technologies that are designed, tested and manufactured in-house and then proven where it matters – in the field.
The result: A full suite of products that earn their place as industry benchmarks.
Volant products are making a difference around the world – enhancing operations on six continents. We’ve gained this presence since 2001; the result of strong and stable relationships with satisfied customers. Our role is standing shoulder-to-shoulder with you to facilitate successful wells. This includes an emphasis on solutions before sales and relationships that exemplify service, quality and safety.
Headquartered in Western Canada, this is also where we put our technology to work through on-site services and training.
Expected start date: 2021-11-01
Job Type: Full-time
- Vericut (or other verification software): 1 year (preferred)
- Programming: 1 year (preferred)
- CAM (Mastercam, GibbsCam, Hypermill, Esprit): 5 years (required)