St.Amant is a non-profit organization, offering programs & services throughout Manitoba which support over 1600 children and adults with developmental disabilities and autism, and their families. We are committed to delivering person and family centered supports through individualized programs and services. St.Amant is guided by its core values of Collaboration, Hospitality, Excellence and Respect.
Position Summary and Scope of Service:
- The Personal Support Worker (health) exemplifies and promotes the Mission and the Values of St.Amant, and the goals and objectives of the Health & Transition Service through the provision of individualized care and holistic support to individuals receiving services. The PSW-H supports activities in a variety of environments and domains, ensuring that each person's goals for health, well-being, independence and quality of life are respected and pursued.
- The PSW-H reports directly to the Service Area Manager for the service area on a shift-by-shift basis and is ultimately accountable to the Manager who is responsible for the 24/7 operations of the service.
- The PSW-H is an essential member of the service team to which he/she is assigned and key contributor to service excellence.
St.Amant, as part of an initiative entitled “Meaningful Connections”, seeks to expand the culture of support (“excellent caretaking”) to include an intentional focus on equipping a person with the opportunities and skills to develop relationships. The goal of this initiative is to have people we support exploring and establishing relationships with people in the community.
Positions Available: 0.4FTE, 0.5FTE, 0.6FTE, 0.7FTE, Days/Evenings
- Health Care Aide certificate from an approved educational institution required. Suitable combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Grade XII or G.E.D required.
- Demonstrated ability to meet the literacy requirements of the position.
- Successful completion of St.Amant and program specific orientation and any other applicable in-house training requirements during the probationary period of employment.
- Valid Class 5F Manitoba Driver's License and Abstract in good standing preferred.
- Previous experience supporting individuals with neurodevelopmental disabilities who present with complex health / physical care needs is an asset.
Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical Care Management:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Independent worker able to maintain focus with minimal direct supervision.
- Physically capable of performing all of the tasks required in the job (lifting & transferring, etc.).
- Able to be mindful, to manage one's own emotions and project a calm, caring and compassionate approach in interactions with individuals, families and coworkers.
- Knowledge of person centred approach.
- Knowledge of family centred practice.
- Able to adapt and cope with change.
- Able to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Acceptable Criminal Record, Child Abuse Registry and Adult Abuse Registry Checks and submission of a satisfactory Driver's Abstract.
Consistent with the organization's Mission and Values, and the goals and objectives of the Program, the PSW-H provides high quality personal care, person & family centred developmental support and supervision to the individuals of his/her assigned service area.
Human Resource Management & Safety:
- Supports individuals in all aspects of personal care, in keeping with individual needs and approved care procedures (e.g. meal time, bathing, bathroom support/hygiene needs, oral care, transferring, etc.).
- Facilitates inclusion in appropriate and meaningful life experiences with a focus on social, emotional, spiritual, and cognitive needs of the individual in a variety of settings / locations.
- Provides support in a manner that facilitates the development of maximum personal independence.
- Promotes and supports the most comfortable and least restrictive living environment possible for individuals.
- Participates in the development of Individual Program Plans and discharge planning as assigned.
- Supports achievement of clinical goals, life-skills, recreation, leisure, work-experience & social / relationship goals as identified by the individual and his/her family and described in the Individual Program Plan or discharge plan.
- Promotes and facilitates connection to family and friends.
- Facilitate celebrations and cultural traditions that are important to the individual and his/her family or community.
- Monitors the health and functioning of individuals and records / reports relevant information in accordance with service area procedures. Alerts the Nursing team to changes in an individual's status.
- Participates in the preparation and presentation of progress reports at scheduled progress review or discharge planning meetings.
- Assists with individual transfers in and out of the service area.
- Assist with mealtime enhancement/improvement for individuals supported within the service area.
The PSW-H supports optimal health, wellbeing and quality of life of individuals supported by working effectively as a care-team member, maintaining a high degree of professionalism and personal accountability.
Financial Resource & Facility Management
- Completes assigned responsibilities in an effective, efficient and professional manner.
- Communicates effectively, providing support and encouragement to team members.
- Supports a respectful, inclusive and positive workplace culture.
- Welcomes visitors to the work area, offering assistance as required.
- Welcomes, orients and participates in training new team members.
- Welcomes, orients and supports the engagement of volunteers.
- Completes all required annual refresher training.
- Monitors the work environment and reports safety concerns and barriers to service excellence when noted.
- Responds appropriately to emergency codes and drills as required.
- Reports all instances of possible abuse, neglect or undignified treatment in accordance with St.Amant policies and applicable legislation / regulation.
- Is accountable for personal safety and follows all safe work policies and procedures; wears personal protective equipment where required and co-operates with the Workplace Health & Safety Committee members as they carry out required safety responsibilities.
- Attend and participate in regular team meetings.
The PSW-H ensures that resources are used in the most effective and efficient manner, and identifies opportunities for improvement where applicable.
Quality Management and Process Improvement
- Makes optimal use of all materials and supplies and informs Service Area Manager when additional supplies are required.
- Makes authorized purchases as requested and accounts for expenditures in accordance with established procedures.
- Manages and accounts for individuals' personal monies as assigned and in accordance with established procedures.
The PSW-H participates in continuous Quality Improvement activities.
Organizational Planning and Development
- Demonstrates St.Amant's core values of Respect, Collaboration, Excellence and Hospitality in all interactions with individuals, families, co-workers and collaterals.
- Collects / records indicator data related to individual or program goals.
- Recommends improvement opportunities and participates on project teams as assigned.
The PSW-H supports and actively works toward the achievement of service area, program, and organizational objectives.
- Participates in organizational and service –level strategic planning processes.
- Attends team meetings and actively participates on program or corporate committees as assigned.
- Attends approved in-service training, seminars, educational conferences. Takes personal accountability for life-long learning and ongoing professional development.
In order to be eligible for a vacant position, an employee must first possess the qualifications prescribed by the Employer for the position concerned, meet the physical requirements of the position in question and have a satisfactory employment record.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature of this position and is not considered to be a complete statement of duties and responsibilities. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned provided they are consistent with the qualifications identified and fall within the parameters of this role.
St.Amant is a bilingual organization. Proficiency in both official languages (French/English) would be considered an asset.
As a condition of employment, successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening, Adult Abuse Registry Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and Prior Contact Check.
As a Condition of Employment, new hires must complete a series of Occupational Health checks. This includes the requirement to confirm immunization or immunity of specific communicable diseases. Successful applicants will also be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to start date.
St.Amant supports equitable employment practices and promotes an inclusive workforce representative of the people we support including diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, and identities. Applicants can request reasonable accommodations in all aspects of the selection and hiring process.