Assembly Technician – Atlas sTGC Upgrades at Carleton University
More than a hundred Canadian researchers from across the country, including the Carleton University Atlas group, are involved in the international ATLAS project based at CERN. ATLAS is one of the two general-purpose detectors at the CERN Large Hadron Collider (LHC) near Geneva Switzerland, and involves several thousand researchers throughout the world. As part of a trans-Canada consortium, the CARLETON-ATLAS group is assembling and testing of detectors for the ATLAS upgrades.
We are currently recruiting Assembly Technicians to join our team to assemble and test detectors. If you are a detail orientated, safety and quality conscious team player looking to gain technical experience, this may be the right opportunity for you.
Responsibilities associated with the position include, but are not limited to:
- Quality Control
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Precise wire winding using a custom software and winding machine
- Precise hands on soldering
- Work with others collaboratively
- Performs troubleshooting in the labs and report issues to the Manager
- Assembly of detectors using precision gluing techniques
- Precise measurements, using either dial indicators, calipers or micrometers
- Detector testing, (high voltage & x-ray)
- Working within a cleanroom environment
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Graduated from Mechanical or Electronic Technician or Technologist diploma
- Commitment to high quality
- Experience in mechanical and electrical assembly work
- Skills and knowledge in the use of hand and power tools
- Communicate effectively in English through oral and written communications
- Manual dexterity
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- Extended periods of standing
Compensation will be $22 per hour plus benefits based on a thirty five hour work week.
Contract will initially be for one year with a three month evaluation period.
An extension of the contract is a possibility.
This is an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio working on a high profile international collaborative project.
The work will take place at Carleton University, however please note that this is a grant funded position paid by the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $22.00 /hour
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)