Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
Reporting to the Patient Care Manager of Family Maternity Centre/ Birthing Centre, you will be responsible for providing excellent care to a diverse patient population within of our multi-service environment. The FMC/Birthing Centre has a family centered philosophy throughout the cycle of ante-partum, intra-partum & post-partum nursing care to low risk obstetrical patients. In this role, you will be expected to scrub and circulate for caesarian section births. The delivery care model for this unit is Total Patient Care. You will provide high quality nursing care to patients and their families, based on the philosophy and conceptual framework of Nursing Practice at SHN. Please note this position is required to work shift work, weekends and holidays.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BCLS
- Intrapartum and postpartum nursing experience within the last 3 years or recent consolidation experience
- Completion of a recognized breastfeeding course within 6 months of hire
- Completion of all Departmental Added Nursing Competency certification within three months from date of hire
- Demonstrates commitment to provide continuity of care and family centred care
- Patient Assessment and Health Promotion/Teaching skills with family centered care approach
- Willingness to work with a multicultural community
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrates excellent problem-solving, decision making and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates excellent organizational, time-management and team building skills
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to function both independently and as a multidisciplinary team member in a fast paced demanding environment
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
- Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
- Excellent work performance and attendance
- Recent intraoperative experiences (i.e. scrub and circulate for caesarean sections)
- Certification in Neonatal Resuscitation and Fetal Health Surveillance preferred but will be a requirement within 3 months of hire date.
- Ability to speak another language
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following us on Twitter at: SHNCareers