National Defence - Corporate Secretary
$57,430 to $61,877
3 July 2020 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
THIS PROCESS IS OPEN TO INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CANDIDATES TO THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA.
You will be required to show how you demonstrate the essential qualifications (i.e. Education and Experience) for the initial screening through your resume and in answering online screening questions. It is NOT sufficient to only state that the qualifications are met or to provide a listing of current or past responsibilities. Rather you must clearly demonstrate HOW, WHEN, and WHERE the qualification was met through substantiation by examples. Information on your described skills, experience, etc. provided in screening questions should be supported by your resume. Failure to provide the above information in the format required may result in your application being rejected from the process.
For this selection process, our intention is to communicate with applicants by e-mail for screening/assessment purposes (including issuing screening results, and sending invitations for written tests and interviews). Applicants who apply to this selection process must include in their application a valid e-mail address and make sure this address is functional at all times and accepts messages from unknown users. It is the candidate’s responsibility to provide updated contact information as required.
Our organization will only accept on-line applications for this advertisement. All job applications must therefore be submitted through www.canada.ca/government-jobs. For this advertisement, applicants will be required to provide information which is only accessible when applying on-line (namely the job questionnaire).
The following are some of the benefits associated with applying online:
- Applicants can create a profile and a resume that can be used when applying for other processes without having to recreate a new application each time.
- Applicants can modify their application/resume at any time BEFORE the closing date indicated on the job advertisement.
- Applicants can verify the status of their applications, at any time.
- Applicants can be notified electronically of tests or interviews and results.
- For some jobs, applicants will find important information, namely the screening questionnaire and a complete statement of merit criteria that are only available when applying online.
To submit an application on-line, please select the button “Apply Online” below. Persons with disabilities preventing them from applying on-line are asked to contact 1-800-645-5605.
Please carefully read the "Other Information" section of this advertisement as there is important information regarding your application and how the screening of candidates will take place.
Intent of the process
As a result of this selection process, a pool of qualified candidates may be created to staff similar positions of various tenures such as (indeterminate, specified period) with various language and security requirements.
Positions to be filled:
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
A secondary school diploma or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience relevant to the position to be staffed.
Recent* experience in managing agendas and organizing daily activities for senior manager (such as an EX 01 and above)
Recent* experience coordinating logistics for meetings and/or events
Recent* experience providing administrative services and support for senior management (such as an EX 01 and above) and/or project team(s) such as preparing correspondence, coordinating briefing materials, filing, printing, meeting preparation, ordering supplies, financial record keeping, scheduling travel, filing claims.
Recent* experience in the use of the various computer software such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel.
- Recent experience is defined as experience acquired within the past five (5) years.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
Currently the need for the position is English Essential, but the pool could be used to fill positions with different language profiles such as Bilingual Imperative BBB/BBB, Bilingual Imperative CBC/CBC .
Information on language requirements
Second Language Writing Skills Self-Assessment
In order to help you decide if you should apply to a bilingual position, an optional self-assessment of your writing skills in your second official language is available for you to take before completing your application.
For more information, please consult:
Unsupervised Internet Test of Second Language Writing Skills
Ability to analyze tasks and issues, establish priorities to meet tight deadlines, and take appropriate action.
Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
Working effectively with others and independently.
Showing initiative and being action-oriented.
Thinking things through.
Demonstrating integrity and respect.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
Experience using a correspondence management system such as CCM Mercury.
Experience using Shared Travel Services (HRG) system.
Experience handling sensitive information.
Conditions of employment
Secret security clearance - with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
1. If applicable, please identify the following on your application: substantive group and level; employment status; Personal Record Identifier (PRI).
2. Interviews may be conducted.
3. A written exam may be administered.
4. Reference checks may be conducted.
5. A situational exercise may be administered
6. Applicants are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice and are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
7. Candidate may have to travel to a specific location for the assessment/interview at their own cost.
8. A random and/or top down selection of candidates may be used in the determination of those to be given further consideration in the assessment process
9. Candidates may/will be required to meet the other qualifications (assets), depending on the requirements of the specific position being staffed.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.