What is Youth Unlimited?
Flowing out of the mission of Jesus, Greater Vancouver Youth Unlimited relationally engages in holistic work (physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual) with vulnerable youth in partnership with the Church and the community.
We are currently seeking out new youth workers to serve in our ministries in West Abbotsford (speaking Punjabi is not required) and Central Abbotsford. We are also creating a team to launch new ministry in East Abbotsford.
Why do we exist?
To see the hope and potential in every young person. To help fill in the gaps in our cities where we are losing our young people. To support youth, families, schools and communities in whatever ways we can.
What do our youth workers do?
- We have a strong focus on caring for and serving vulnerable youth and their families in the community.
- Supporting local middle and high schools through noon-hour supervision, classroom assistance, coaching sports, field trips and extracurricular events.
- Engaging young people by planning and organizing after school and evening clubs/hang out times and regular day trips.
- Mentoring and discipling youth and families formally and informally in small groups and in one on one meetings.
- Promoting the ministry through partnerships with churches schools, and the community agencies.
- Building a team of ministry partners who will provide all the funding necessary to pay for the youth worker's salary, benefits, and ministry expenses.
What must the candidate possess to thrive in this position?
- Have an active and healthy relationship with Jesus
- Care for young people and have a heart for missions
- Be passionate about discipleship and evangelism
- Be an active participant in a local church
- Have good communication skills
- Able to lead a small team of volunteers
- Have experience with working with vulnerable youth and youth in general
- Comfortable in a multicultural environment
- Able to plan and coordinate meetings, small groups and events
- Work within the context of Abbotsford YU staff team and values
- Able to obtain a class 4 drivers license
What are the working conditions?
- Meeting youth and adults in schools, coffee shops, churches and other public places
- Meeting and working with other YU staff and volunteers
- Raise all funding needed for the salary, expenses, and benefits (if applicable). All funds are raised by the applicant with fundraiser training and mentorship provided by Youth Unlimited.
- Average staff retainment is more than 10 years.
- Telephone and computer work at home or in the Abbotsford YU office
- Use of own vehicle to travel to the locations required
- Developing and maintaining partnerships with churches, schools, and community organizations
- Create and oversee a team of 5-10 volunteers.
- Occasional evening and weekend work. Occasional day and extended trips
Time Commitment: Fulltime and parttime positions are available.
Training: 2-year credentialing training, plus ongoing youth workers training
Supervision and Feedback: Regular meetings with supervisor and co-workers
All applications must be accompanied by a brief letter of reference from the applicant's pastor.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time