3-1-1 Casual Client Service Agent
Competition posting date:
Competition closing date:
Service Innovation & Performance Department, Service Ottawa, Call Centre Services Branch
Multiple Casual Positions
CUPE 503 Inside/Outside
$29.773 to $34.833 per hour* (2019 rates of pay)
- You will initially be paid 95% of your starting rate of pay, in accordance with the collective agreement.
110 Laurier Avenue West
Applications / resumes received will be used to staff current and on-going requirements until December
Responsible for providing information and customer services for a wide range of City services, programs,
policies, procedures, permits and fee structures, as part of a team of agents, delivered through a Client
Service Centre; ensuring service continuity in responding to inquiries and urgent requests from the public,
elected officials, internal staff, and other government agencies through a variety of platforms, primarily by
phone and including electronic/web, email and in-person in the most efficient and professional manner
possible, minimizing referrals and transfers to other subject matter experts, where possible, and ensuring
follow up where requested. Work is performed in accordance with corporate/departmental/branch policies,
procedures, standards and guidelines, as well as any applicable legislation/regulations, and in meeting
performance and quality assurance standards.
Education & Experience
Successful completion of grade 12 or recognized equivalency
A minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience in a customer service environment, providing service to
the public by telephone, in person, in writing and electronically in a multi-service environment, such as a in
call centre and/or a counter service operations.
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for
stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
The successful candidate(s) will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check to the City of Ottawa’s
Designated bilingual - Day 1 Ready – immediate requirement for language proficiency:
French oral, reading required
English oral, reading, writing required
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Knowledge of customer service delivery mechanisms and computer programs as they relate to
products and services within the Client Service Centre
- Customer Service practices and strategies to resolving customer related complaints
- Corporate Microsoft computer applications MSWord , Outlook, Excel, Internet Explorer/Ozone, and job
specific programs such as LAGAN, Knowledge BASE, Ottawa.ca, MAP, ITX, VTAX, Aqacis,CLASS,
RSVP, Autoprocess, SAP, etc.
- General office equipment
- Corporate cash handling procedures, operation of cash register, balancing cash and preparing daily
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers.
Competencies & Skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills combined with excellent customer service skills
especially during busy periods, stressful situations or emergencies
- Communicate effectively and tactfully with municipal staff, elected officials and members of the general
public by telephone and in-person
- Strong writing skills and ability to compose professional, clear and concise responses to written
- Organize, multi-task and prioritize work
- Exercise sound judgment and discretion in decision making to selecting/suggesting a course of action
within a list of possible alternatives, particularly after-hours, to minimize risk to the corporation and
maximize public safety
- Work independently and in a team setting
If this opportunity matches your interest and profile please apply online by using the "Apply"
button. If this is your first online application please refer to our resources on how to apply for jobs online.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process
will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa is committed to providing quality services by establishing a qualified workforce that
reflects the diverse population it serves. The City encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the
HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.