Interviewers for exciting research project on impaired driving
The Canadian Drug and Alcohol Research Team (CanDART) is recruiting for interviewers to conduct an important and exciting research project on alcohol, drugs and driving. This project, known as the Ontario Roadside Survey 2022, is funded by the Ontario Government.
CanDART is a division of Beirness & Associates, is an Ottawa-based research company that has over 30 years experience doing this type of research and is widely respected within the research community and by the sponsors and partner organizations.
Project Description: Roadside surveys are used to determine the prevalence of alcohol and drug use among drivers. The survey involves conducting brief interviews with drivers and collecting breath and saliva samples to test for alcohol and drug use. You will be trained to collect these samples.
Job Description: Interviewers will work as part of a team of 4-5 people collecting data outdoors for up to 3 weeks in September 2022. The survey is conducted on Wednesday through Saturday nights between the hours of 9:00 pm and 3:00 am, at various locations across Ontario. A police officer will be present to assist the survey team with traffic and to help ensure the safety of the survey team and the drivers.
- be willing to be away from home for up to two weeks;
- be willing and able to work outside in adverse weather conditions;
- be willing and able to work at night;
- be willing and able to travel with the research team within the province;
- be available for ALL training sessions and ALL survey nights;
- be willing to share a hotel room with a same-sex co-worker when we travel; and,
- be willing and able to deal in a professional manner with the general public.
What we are looking for in our interviewers:
- previous interview/survey experience is desirable;
- bilingual (French/English) is an asset but not essential;
- experience working with the general public:
- works well under pressure;
- a friendly, professional demeanour;
- advanced interpersonal skills;
- a team player;
- responsible, organized, punctual, detail-oriented work ethic and,
- willingness to learn.
What we offer:
- $24 per hour
- Paid training;
- We provide transportation and hotel rooms plus $40 per day for meals when travelling outside the capital area; and,
- a unique work experience.
You need to be available for ALL training sessions and survey dates to be considered.
Training will take place in Ottawa on the following dates:
- Friday, Sept. 2, from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Sunday, Sept 4, from 2 pm to 10 pm, and
- In Arnprior on Tuesday Sept 6, 2022, from 8pm to 12 am (we provide transportation)
- Week 1: Wednesday, Sept 7 through Saturday, Sept 10, 2022
- Week 2: Wednesday, Sept 14 through Saturday, Sept 17,2022
and, if required
- Week 3: Wednesday, Sept 21 through Saturday, Sept 24, 2022
Note: This is not full time work. You will be paid for training. In a typical survey night you will work 1.5 hours, have 1.5 to take a break and change survey locations, and then work 1.5 more hours. For this time period you will be paid for 5 hours.
Interviewers typically work a total of between 60 and 80 hours for the training and the survey.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by Friday, August 19, 2022(11:59 EST). Please write Interviewerposition in the subject line of the email. Interviews will take place in Ottawa on Saturday, Aug 20 and Sunday, Aug. 21,2022.
In your cover letter please highlight your relevant experience and answer the following questions:
- I am willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions - YES/NO
- I am willing and able to work at night and on weekends - YES/NO
- I am willing and able to travel across the province with the survey team - YES/NO
- I am available for all training sessions and all survey work - YES/NO
- I am willing to share a room with a same-sex co-worker when we travel - YES/NO
- I understand this is not full-time work - YES/NO
For questions or additional information, please call 613-260-5962.
Thank you for your interest but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Salary: $24.00 per hour