Who we are
Cornerstone offers emergency shelter and affordable supportive housing in four residential facilities for women experiencing homelessness, poverty, mental illness, addictions, trauma and abuse in Ottawa. Our services are offered in an environment which promotes dignity and a sense of hope. We are committed to public education and advocacy and strive to increase safe affordable housing and to end homelessness. Cornerstone is a Community Ministry of the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa.
Join Our Team
Our Relief Support Workers play an integral role in ensuring the smooth operations of the organization and providing quality service. The right candidate is passionate about providing services to women, is collaborative, a creative problem-solver, client-centered and an analytical thinker. As a Relief Support Worker you will have the opportunity to book flexible shifts (morning, evening, night) and start to build a meaningful career with Cornerstone. Casual relief positions are great for individuals beginning their career in the social service sector or individuals looking for a flexible opportunity to complement their full-time/part-time employment. We offer competitive hourly pay, a supportive management and staff team and professional opportunities.
The Casual Relief Support Worker provides individualized support to Cornerstone residents in the following areas: basic needs; activities of daily living including maintenance of personal and communal space; physical and mental health; housing; financial; social; spiritual; legal; educational and vocational. The service is flexible and resident-centered to meet the unique situation of each woman. The Support Worker follows the individualized plan as developed by the Case Managers and works with other team members to assist residents to meet their goals.
The role of the Support Worker is to:
- Collaborate with other Cornerstone staff and volunteers to develop a warm, accepting, non-judgmental and respectful atmosphere in the residence.
- Model a creative, problem-solving approach with the ultimate goal of assisting residents to sustain housing with Cornerstone and to reach their individual goals.
- Implement early intervention plans
- Proactively prevent and intervene in crises and facilitate resolution of conflict.
- Provide guidance, encouragement and information about community resources.
- Collaborate with Case Managers to implement individualized resident plans.
- Participate in move-in/move-out plan.
- Monitor and assist with residents’ medication routines.
- Facilitate resident gatherings.
- Ensure cleanliness, health, safety, and good repair of residence and individual tenants’ units by carrying out basic household chores, emergency health and safety procedures and regular manual tasks as necessary.
- Collaborate with community services to support resident plans.
- Carry out administrative tasks such as: creating notes, emails and entering data to coordinate and track resident support.
- Other related duties as required.
- College Diploma or University Degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in a social services, social work or an equivalent field of study (such as Criminology, Gender Studies, Psychology, Sociology, Social Justice)
- Demonstrated experience working with women facing social, health, economic, or other barriers to sustainable housing.
- Bilingualism (French and English) would be considered an asset.
- Fluency in other languages is also considered an asset.
- Satisfactory Police Records Check (Level 3 Vulnerable Sector).
- Proven sensitivity to and understanding of the needs of women experiencing homelessness, poverty, trauma, abuse, mental illness, addictions, discrimination, new arrival, and other personal and systemic challenges to independent living.
- Ability to work with women of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds.
- Ability to meet the physical and psychological demands of the position.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Effective communication, interpersonal and public relations skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Proven conflict resolution and crisis intervention abilities.
- Demonstrated good judgment and problem solving ability.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and experience using a database software such as OneNote or HIFIS.
Accommodation will be provided upon request at any time throughout the application process.
Interested applicants please apply on Indeed. We will contact you if your candidate profile matches our hiring needs. No phone calls please.
Cornerstone is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages diversity in our staff team.
Thank you for your interest in joining Cornerstone. Check out our website for more information https://www.cornerstonewomen.ca/
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $21.30 to $23.58 /hour
- WHMIS 2015 and Food Handlers (Preferred)
- First Aid & CPR (Required)