Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
To implement secure, cost effective computing technology solutions for our business partners. To provide attentive, friendly, high quality technical support to our customers, solving their issues in a timely fashion.
The Systems Operations Analyst leads the research, development, implementation, and day-to-day operations of the Housing & Ancillary Services network, data centres, servers, and associated enterprise applications. The incumbent will manage computer systems, servers, and network connections to ensure high levels of reliability, availability, and security of the supported business applications. The Analyst collaborates daily with colleagues to provide expertise and technical support for each Computing Services team (Client Support Services, Software Development, RezNet). Each member of the Computing Services team is committed to providing a safe, reliable and secure computing and mobile environment.
- Undergraduate degree or college diploma in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field
- Professional certification or designation in server administration, cyber security, storage management, project management, business analysis, or related practice is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Five years of experience in a server operations environment supporting enterprise level servers and storage
- Two years of experience managing virtualized environments
- Two year of experience providing front-line customer service and technical support
- Experience maintaining strong security practices for servers and the data housed within an IT managed infrastructure is preferred
- Experience supporting CBORD Food Service systems is preferred
- Experience working in a higher education environment is preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency of network and systems operations
- Demonstrated knowledge of enterprise level network & systems security (VLANs, routing/switching, CIDR, routing protocols)
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot complex hardware, software and network issues
- Working knowledge to support software development environments (web application firewalls (WAFs), web engine configuration, and application deployment)
- Demonstrated proficiency in setup and management of server operating systems (Windows, Linux, Novell)
- Demonstrated familiarity with concepts around central directory services (such as LDAP and Active Directory)
- Demonstrated familiarity with implementation and management of both local and shared storage such as storage area networks using multiple protocols
- Demonstrated familiarity with relational database management (MSSQL, MySQL)
- Demonstrated familiarity with server hardware platforms
- Demonstrated familiarity with server virtualization technologies (VMWARE)
- Demonstrated ability to learn, develop and support scripts in languages (PowerShell, Bash)
- Ability to write clear, concise procedural and technical documentation
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with technical and non-technical users
- Ability to resolve problems and escalate issues with suggestions for further investigation and options for consideration as required
- Initiative to seek and share relevant information, opinions, and judgments
- Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service
- Demonstrated organizational skills including ability to manage multiple competing priorities working to tight time lines with appropriate supervision
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions
Please note, successful applicants will be required to produce a current police criminal record check from a police service prior to commencing employment.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.