peopleCare has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the seventh year in a row! We are a growing family-based organization that provides outstanding care and exceptional experiences in long-term care and retirement living. Our staff are engaged, enthusiastic and strive to exceed expectations. We encourage out-of-the box thinking and ideas and are always looking for talented people who embrace change with a positive attitude. Offering great wellness and recognition programs is important to us.
We are also accredited with Exemplary Standing, the highest award possible through Accreditation Canada’s Qmentum program. This distinction is thanks to the efforts of our outstanding team of skilled and dedicated individuals working collaboratively with our partners to drive excellence in operations, care, and services. Noted as a great place to work, other strengths include our investment in leadership development and staff education, high level of engagement in our communities, and building meaningful and mutually beneficial partnerships to address staffing shortages and drive positive systemic change.
These are exciting times at peopleCare, as we are growing fast as we continue to expand our horizons and seek new opportunities to raise the bar in Changing the World of Senior Living! That’s where your talents and ideas come in! If you enjoy challenges and working with people – and want to create meaningful experiences for our residents, families, staff and partners! – then apply to the great opportunity below!
Assists the Home in multiple departments with duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Department Supervisor.
Reports to: Department Supervisor or Charge Nurse as per duties assigned
- Adheres to established department policies and procedures regarding quality assurance, safety, environment, and infection control.
- Displays an attitude that is focused on working safely and ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthy.
- Uses safe work practices.
- Reports any actual or potential hazard to the immediate supervisor.
- Uses or wears personal protective equipment (or clothing) as required.
- Promptly reports personal injury to supervisor and seeks first aid as needed.
- Participates in fire safety activities and knows the facility fire and disaster plan.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Does not use or operate any equipment in a way that would endanger any worker, resident, or visitor.
- Reports incidents/accidents immediately to supervisor
- Ensures privacy of residents during performance of duties.
- Ensure confidentiality of resident information.
- Effectively communicates and interacts with residents, family members, visitors, staff, and volunteers in a courteous and professional manner
- Attends in-service education sessions, staff meetings, and workshops as directed. Identifies and documents building/equipment breakdowns in maintenance log.
- Assigned Duties May Include the Following.
Resident Care Support.
- Under the direction of the registered nursing staff and in partnership with PSW, provides support to promote the comfort and safety of residents.
- Some typical activities include stand by assistance with lifts and transfers, second care provider with assigned task. Provides physical assistance to residents with a PSW as required and under the direction and supervision of a PSW or Charge Nurse.
- Assists in the maintenance of a clean, safe environment. Some typical activities include making beds, cleaning bedside units, collecting/bagging soiled linen for dispatch to laundry, label personal resident belongings, sorting and storing clean linen, emptying bedpans and removal of unsafe objects etc.
- Consults with and informs supervisor of unit activities, needs and problems related to resident care.
- Assists with admission, discharge and transfer of residents or transporting residents to programs, visits, or dining rooms etc.
- Assists with meal service to residents and provides feeding assistance as required.
- Provides emotional/social support for residents.
- Assists in the maintenance and proper care of nursing equipment.
- In collaboration with PSW, documentation responsibilities will include Meals, snack, and fluids.
- Or other Duties as Assigned
- Help with food delivery at receiving dock.
- Sets and cleans dining tables and trays.
- Assists in dish and pan washing, storage, and cleaning duties.
- Or other duties as assigned
- Assists the program leader with group and individual life enrichment programs such as exercise classes, crafts, social activities and outings, and sensory stimulation activities are assigned.
- Set up activity area as necessary and act as additional support to program leaders
- Transport residents to and from programs and meals services or visits with family
- Encourages participation in life enrichment programs by preparing residents for and assisting them to and from activities.
- Or other duties as assigned
- Maintains work area in a clean, orderly, and safe manner and assures proper care in use of tools, equipment, and supplies.
- Receives assignment, assembles required materials and supplies, loads service cart and transports to work area.
- Additional cleaning tasks to high touch areas
- Using specified cleaning/disinfecting/sanitizing agents, and following specific procedures, work patterns and routines, performs tasks such as:
- Vacuuming, sweeping, dry/wet mopping, scrubbing, sanitizing/disinfecting floors, spot cleaning walls, windows and doors between washing, dusting, emptying wastebaskets and rearranging furniture, removing waste, daily cleaning and disinfecting daily all bathroom fixtures and replenishing supplies, cleaning floors, fixtures and furnishing in utility rooms, kitchen, closets etc.
- Or Other Duties as Assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidates will possess:
- Minimum Highschool Diploma or Home Care Certificate (or equivalent) that meets the vocational standards established by the Ministry of Training, Colleges & Universities, the standards established by the National Association of Career Colleges, or the standards established by the Ontario Community Support Association
- Preference will be given to those with previous history working with geriatric population, or in a healthcare setting as well as to those with special interest / education in health care related field
- Strong interpersonal skills and an empathetic approach with residents.
- Candidates must be available to workdays and evenings and weekends
- Valid work or study permit (if applicable)
- Current CPR/First aid certification is considered an asset
- Recent vulnerable sector screening
- Up-to-date immunization record (TB Test as required by Ministry of Health and Long Term Care),
- Gentle Persuasive Approach (GPA) is considered an asset
Contract length: 3 months
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Contract
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Long Term Care: 1 year (Preferred)