Location: Sparwood, BC, CA. Elkford, BC, CA
Closing Date: April 30, 2019
Reporting directly to the General Supervisor, and indirectly to the Senior Supervisor Engineer, Operations, the Supervisor, Water Treatment is responsible for the safe and efficient execution of work and ensuring that the water treatment facility complies with all appropriate regulations, policies, and procedures. Water Treatment Technicians and Senior Water Treatment Technicians report to the Supervisor. Supervisors will be trained to work in all facilities and will be expected to rotate between facilities as needed. Travel time to the assigned site will not be included as part of working hours with the proposed schedule being seven days on and seven days off.
The Elk Valley Water Quality Plan (EVWQP) guides Teck’s efforts to ensure watershed health. Teck Coal’s Water Quality Management Group (WQM) is responsible for achieving Teck’s commitments under the plan by implementing water quality mitigations through both treatment and the support of Research and Development work to identify additional sustainable options. TS,P will be providing a significant number of the resources needed to execute WQM’s current and future water initiatives. TS,P is a business unit within Teck that provides support to all of Teck’s locations with services ranging from project identification to project execution.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Ensure Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) compliance in accordance with the Health,
- Safety, and Reclamation Code of British Columbia as well as Teck Coal policies and procedures; actively work to improve the EH&S program at Teck
- Be responsible for the protection of workers, contractors, the environment, and equipment to ensure safe and efficient work
- Manage maintenance activities onsite including contractor management
- Check that work permits and hazard assessments are completed and areas inspected before safe work can proceed
- Ensure compliance with all applicable legislation as it relates to mine water treatment facilities
- Ensure plant operations, performance, and reporting requirements conform to operating standards and procedures, and initiate control process adjustments in response to changing conditions
- Monitor the performance and activities of the facility through the use of Key Performance
- Indicators (KPI’s) and other metrics
- Oversee process and equipment monitoring and control
- Review computerized operating and laboratory results and database to ensure record integrity
- Provide daily, weekly, and monthly Operational reports
- Lead optimization initiatives in the facility as part of continuous improvement efforts
- Ensure appropriate document control procedures are implemented and maintained to uphold the integrity of records from the laboratory and process plant for due diligence purposes
- Ensure direct reports are trained and competent to execute their roles and responsibilities
- Develop or aid in the development of Job Aids, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs),
- Training Manuals, Training Presentations, and Verifiable Learning Objectives
- Aid in on-the-job training and verify effectiveness of training
- Ensure plant staff produce results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, and procedures
- Manage the Building Strength With People (BSWP) process for direct reports and support professional development and succession management activities
- Perform other related duties as required
- College Diploma or University Degree in Engineering or Sciences, or relevant academic background
- Minimum eight years’ experience in a water or waste water treatment plant with three to four years of relevant supervisory work experience
- Level III Wastewater Treatment certificate is an asset
- Experience training personnel, including training program development, execution, and training program continuous improvement is an asset
- Mechanical understanding of process equipment
- General laboratory experience is considered an asset
- Prior experience in maintenance activities and supervision considered an asset
- Demonstrated proficiency in applicable computer process software applications, including the Microsoft Office Suite®
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, and decision making abilities
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Valid Class 5 British Columbia Driver's License or equivalent
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
Job Type: Full-time