LOCATION: Various Toronto, Brampton and Pickering locations
POSITION TYPE: One Year Fixed Term Casual Contract
We are looking for a dedicated Community Support Worker with a high level of energy to join our amazing growth focused team!
Skylark is an accredited, leading Toronto-based charity dedicated to children, young people and their families struggling with complex mental health and developmental needs.
Our Community Support Team provides supervision and support to children and young adults with complex special needs in a variety of settings. Working conditions include but are not limited to working one on one with clients in community and family homes, group homes and residential homes.
Compensation & Benefits:
- $19.60 per hour plus vacation pay
- WSIB eligible
- Flexible schedule up to 40 hours per week
Our Community Support Worker will draw upon their knowledge and experience to support other professionals and families to provide a high quality of life and excellent programming for clients.
Key Responsibilities of the Position:
- Provide supervision and residential support to clients on afternoon, weekend, and awake/asleep overnight shifts at various locations throughout the GTA and surrounding area
- Perform all supervision and personal care duties required by the residents during assigned shifts. This will include any housekeeping, cooking, and safety related procedures required
- Develop and implement individualized treatment plans and interventions for the youth in collaboration with Community Consulting Resource Coordinator, Case Facilitators, consultants, other staff members, and parents/guardians
- Provide crisis intervention and implement client safety plans as well as provide support to other staff as required
- Maintain and follow protocols, plans and instruction as prescribed
- Maintain complete and confidential case records and required program paperwork
Experience, Skills & Knowledge:
- Diploma in Behavioural Science with an Autism Specialization, Child & Youth Worker diploma, Developmental Service Worker, Social Service Worker, Personal Support Worker or a degree / diploma in a closely related field combined with sound knowledge of diagnostic and treatment theories, methodologies and practices as they relate to individuals with autism, FASD and other developmental disabilities. Must possess an ability to apply theory to practice
- Minimum 1 years’ placement experience working with youth (aged at least 16+ years) with complex special needs in a community setting
- Understanding of residential environments, the policies and procedures typically implemented and legislative oversight considered an asset
- Experience working with complex special needs clients and the behavioural approaches required to support physically aggressive individuals in a safe and positive manner
- Knowledge of ABA/IBI & BT and the ability to provide a broad range of therapeutic intervention to residents as well as knowledge and skill in the areas of crisis intervention (CPI)
- Computer Literacy including: Microsoft Office, Internet navigational skills, accurate database entry, and continuously developing technology proficiency
- Demonstrates personal initiative and takes responsibility for meeting expectations
- Knowledge of family dynamics and the implications of supporting clients in a family home environment
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills as well as organizational and administrative skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills in effectively working with team members, clients and management.
- Satisfactory clearance under the Vulnerable Sector Screening program
- Valid and current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Valid and current Crisis Intervention Training (CPI Preferred)
- Medical clearance in accordance with Skylark Children, Youth & Families policy on pre-employment medicals
- Smartphone with data capabilities is an asset
- Vehicle and eligibility to transport clients an asset.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants are invited to submit both their cover letter and resume in only PDF or Microsoft word format to CRSCommATskylarkyouth.org on or before November 1, 2019.
Please quote: Community Support Worker – October in the subject line. Please refrain from pasting the cover letter to the body of the email.
Skylark is strongly committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of the populations we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including applicants from all cultures, racialized communities, abilities, diverse sexual and gender identities and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free.
We ask applicants to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting the Human Resources Department at (416) 482-0081 ext.248. Human Resources will work together with the hiring committee to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation for the selection process which will enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Job Type: Contract
Job Types: Contract, Casual
Salary: $19.60 /hour
- ASD: 1 year (Preferred)
- Mental Health: 1 year (Preferred)
- Residential: 1 year (Preferred)