WALCAN SEAFOOD LTD
Work Site Location:
The successful applicant will work in an open concept, ocean view accounting office at our waterfront processing facility located on Quadra Island, B.C. Applicants who reside (or plan to reside) on Quadra Island are preferred but many employees travel from Campbell River and a daily travel allowance is provided.
Are you an ambitious team-player seeking an opportunity to join a progressive and collaborative team that has set sights on company growth, employee development, modern technology, and achieving excellence in all we do? Then the finance team at Walcan Seafood wants to hear from you!
The Senior Accountant will be an integral part of a busy finance department for a dynamic, successful seafood processing and sales company. The successful applicant will report to the Controller, utilizing their experience in a well-rounded mix of hands-on transactional accounting entry, mentoring junior accounting team members, and senior level assignments requiring experienced independence and forward-thinking. The ideal candidate will be an experienced and self-motivated team player who possesses strong analytical intuition, advanced practical experience in business software applications, a solid foundation of operational or manufacturing related accounting experience, proven time management skills, and who holds themselves to a high level of personal accountability. Our finance department is in a period of transition and growth, creating a fantastic opportunity to jump on board as we chart a progressive new course.
The culture of the Walcan finance team is one of teamwork, fun, and productivity. We hold ourselves and each other to a high standard of excellence, working supportively and collaboratively to meet objectives that contribute to the overall success of the business.
Key Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
· Support to and backup for Controller
· Oversight of production and inventory data entry, tracking, and reporting for multiple storage locations
· Interpret fishing contracts and reconcile payables to fishers
· Manage capital asset acquisitions, amortization, and disposals
· Prepaid entries and reconciliations
· Balance Sheet reconciliations, reviews, and analysis
· Prepare, enter and review journal entries
· Oversee accounts payable, prepare/review cheque runs, assist with data entry as required
· Backup coverage for processing payroll, both hourly and salaried
· Coordinate and liaise with production and sales departments
· Mentor junior accounting members
· Assist in preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements
· Review and analyse financial statements and inventory data
· Ad hoc and statutory reporting
· Liaise with external auditors
· Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Excel at an intermediate to advanced level utilizing pivot tables and advanced formulas to filter, sort, and manipulate data.
· Proficiency with other MS Office applications
· High level of attention to detail and accuracy
· Strong analytical intuition, problem solving, and critical thinking skills
· Self motivated with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and deadlines
· Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written English communication skills
· Ability to take direction, as well as to effectively work independently
· Knowledge of internal controls and their application
· Understand the importance of collaborative teamwork and have a positive impact on the team
· Open-minded and positive in dealing with change and new ways of doing things
· Take personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work
Required Education and Experience:
· 3+ years of manufacturing or operational accounting experience is required
· Completion of or working towards degree/designation is preferred
· Food processing, forestry, or other resource processing industry experience highly beneficial/preferred
Competitive salary based on qualifications. Company paid medical/dental benefits.
To apply please email resume with a cover letter outlining what interests you about this position with Walcan.
This position is only open to applicants currently residing in Canada.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $67,000.00-$75,000.00 per year
- Operational or Manufacturing Accounting: 3 years (required)