A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we're a growth-oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
From Alberta to Alabama, we're innovating power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We believe in empowering our people and supporting them with holistic benefits and programs so they can thrive in all aspects of life. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe, inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We're here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that's meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Do you enjoy a challenging environment, where learning and career growth are encouraged and supported?
Capital Power Corporation (CPC) is currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our dynamic Market Assessment and Forecasting (MA&F) team!
As the Senior Analyst, Market Fundamentals you are accountable for providing analytical support and the delivery of reliable and timely long-term fundamental forecasts of oil and gas prices, oil and gas activity including emissions and electric load for the Alberta power market. As Senior Analyst, you will work with other internal stakeholders to provide expertise related to detailed target market knowledge and fundamental forecasting which are critical to supporting Capital Power's long-term plan, strategy development and execution, including Capital Power's business development activity, regulatory and policy support as well as commercial and trading activities. This includes understanding internal stakeholder requirements, gathering external data, performing research and analytics of key market drivers, consulting internal subject matter experts, consulting, and leading third-party consultants, and developing corporate views on key market drivers and outcomes. You will focus on forecasting Alberta electricity demand, key Alberta industries that contribute to electric load and emissions as well as on fuel prices. Accountabilities will include forecasting emerging sectors like distributed generation, electric vehicles, hydrogen, and carbon captured and sequestration, as well as supporting the development of new forecasting methodologies.
You will contribute to our team by
- Acting as Capital Power's foremost authority in fundamental issues relating to oil and gas prices, activity and emissions, Alberta Internal Load (AIL) and Alberta Integrated Electric Sales (AIES), including economic trends, regulatory, government policy and technological drivers. Given the energy transition to low carbon and the organization's commitment to net zero by 2045, analysis will also focus on environmental policies including government goals, tax incentives, CO2 prices and tracking of historical and future emissions to help forecast CO2 credits and obligations by industry.
- Delivering timely and reliable fuel price and electricity demand forecasts, taking into consideration internal analysis, internal subject matter expertise, and third-party consultant views.
- Understanding, monitoring, collecting data, researching, performing analysis, critically thinking, and providing recommendations on key drivers such as regulatory developments, sector-specific demand drivers, the impacts of environmental regulations on the power, fuel and other industries and supply-demand balance dynamics.
- Understanding and explaining the differences between various consultant views and methodologies, inclusive of assessing the credibility of these sources.
- Developing assumptions for modeling of highly complex and volatile power market, gathering external data, developing and performing research of key market drivers, analyzing ISO Long-Term Outlooks and forecast results, and achieving the required outcomes.
- Independently completing analytics and assessments with high degree of autonomy and providing recommendations as market subject matter expert to Business Development, Commercial, Regulatory and Policy developments.
- Demonstrating strong analytical skills, zooming in on details but also be able to articulate, conceptualize and communicate the overall issues.
- Being accountable and able to lead projects that require internal and external coordination and inputs as well as communicating to internal audiences, including Capital Power's Leadership and Executive Team.
- Demonstrating a culture of continuous improvement in Market Assessment & Forecasting to improve Capital Power’s fundamental forecasting capabilities and work to improve cross- functional efficiency; including identifying, initiating, and delivering new and innovative analytics and tools to improve Capital Power's power fundamental forecasting capabilities.
What you will bring to the role
- Post-secondary Degree in Economics or relevant field.
- Graduate degree (MA, MBA, MEng) would be considered an asset.
- 7+ years of experience related to quantitative or analytical assessments; experience performing electricity load and power market price forecasts would be considered an asset.
- Experience forecasting oil and gas activity, prices and emissions would be considered an asset.
- Advanced Excel and Modeling skills.
- Strong econometrics, research skills, knowledge of data management (querying) and programming languages is an asset.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills; adjusting to various levels of stakeholders within the organization.
- Ability to analyze sophisticated issues and communicate by simplifying the key issues.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position, with possible very minimal travel to meet business users at Capital Power facilities or other offices.
Position is open to candidates in both Calgary and Edmonton
Candidates may be required to complete a written assessment as part of the hiring process.
Clearance of Credit check is required for this position.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordability employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting our careers inbox.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805472.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Calgary, AB T2P 3C5