Reference Number: CAN-BC-NO-176-051119
Founded in 1989, CanWel is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia and trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol CWX, and is Canada’s only fully integrated national distributor in the building materials and related products sector. CanWel operates multiple treating plants and planing facilities in Canada and the United States, and operates distribution centres coast to coast in all major cities and strategic locations across Canada, and near San Francisco and Los Angeles, California. CanWel distributes a wide range of building materials, lumber, and renovation products. In addition, through its CanWel Fibre division, CanWel operates a vertically-integrated forest products company based in Western Canada, operating from British Columbia to Saskatchewan, also servicing the US Pacific Northwest. CanWel owns approximately 136,000 acres of private timberlands, strategic Crown licenses and tenures, log harvesting and trucking operations, several post and pole peeling facilities, and two pressure-treated specialty wood production plants.
Reporting to the Controller, the Senior Accountant is responsible for a variety of corporate financial reporting and tax related tasks for CanWel Building Materials Group Ltd., including research and application under international financial reporting standards (“IFRS”).
Corporate Financial Reporting
- Assist in preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements under IFRS along with supporting schedules
- Assist in analyzing financial statements on a monthly basis and reporting on variances
- Participate in completing month-end close under tight reporting deadlines
- Prepare quarterly and annual account reconciliations
- Assist in preparation of Canadian corporate tax filings including preparing, reviewing, and filing approximately 20 corporate tax returns
- Participate in preparation of annual tax provisions for Canadian and US entities within the CanWel Group by preparing, reviewing, and consolidating provision schedules
- Recommend strategies by researching corporate tax issues, including annual corporate tax planning
- Liaise with external and tax auditors
- Other projects as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Newly designated CPA with public accounting background.
- Minimum four years of public accounting work experience required.
- US and Canadian tax experience an asset
- Experience with corporate financial reporting
- Proficiency with TaxPrep or similar software
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to manage time efficiently, and work well under tight reporting deadlines
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from the Controller
- Highly detail oriented and organized
- Strong verbal, written, and communications skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies
- University degree
- CPA designation
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Base salary
- Annual incentive plan
- Group pension plan
- Health benefits
Employment Status: Full-time, year round
Work Location: Downtown Vancouver
CanWel welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
We thank you for your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- accounting: 4 years (Preferred)
- CPA (Preferred)