Hours of work:
up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Summer 2020:
May 4, 2020 – August 16, 2020
This position will be within the faculty of Health Sciences and the work for this position is completed remotely until further notice.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
The student research assistant (SRA) will be a member of the research team and will assist the investigators throughout the research process. This project is a qualitative study using Pho-tovoice, a community based, participatory action methodology. It will explore the experience of front-line nurses during the CoVid-19 pandemic. The hours are flexible and will range from 5-20 hours per week.
- Review the literature for related studies
- Collect and organize consent forms and demographic data
- Data entry and transcription of a recorded focus group
- Support data analysis (with mentorship)
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
Interest in Qualitative research, a positive attitude, strong written communication skills, and a will-ingness to learn. Previous research experience not required. Having taken a research course in any discipline preferred but not required.
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation – “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.” Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.