Department of Finance Canada
$51,538 to $57,643
For further information on the organization, please visit Department of Finance Canada
31 August 2020 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Would you describe yourself as:
- Tech Savvy? Check.
- Organized? Check.
- Keen? Check.
- A go to person? Check.
- A Multitasker extraordinaire? Check.
Do we have opportunities for you!
- If you live, eat and breathe administration and the idea of supporting the Government of Canada in developing economic and social policies that improve the standard of living and quality of life of Canadians excite you, please consider joining our team at Finance Canada!
Why Join our Team?
- We are looking for resourceful people with serious administration skills to contribute to our future.
- We are recognized as Canada’s Top Employers for Young People for 2020 as well as the Top Employer in the National Capital Region.
- We are located in downtown Ottawa within a 10-minute walk from the Byward Market, the Rideau Centre, beautiful parks, national museums, art galleries and restaurants galore.
- We provide competitive salary rates and a benefits program (Dental and Health Care Plans) for you and your family, a defined benefit pension plan, holidays and the services of our Employee and Family Assistance Program.
What can you expect from us?
- Technology and modern workspaces for you to get the job done.
- Formal and informal support to ensure you are engaged, grow and progress within our organization and the rest of the Public Service.
- Lots of opportunity to express your ideas and make a difference.
- A diverse, receptive and heathy workspace.
Intent of the process
We are keeping it simple!
Just answer the questions in the application and submit your resumé.
What is next?
We will be looking closely at your application over the next few weeks. Here is what you can expect:
- Phase 1: Let’s see what you’ve got
The information you provide will be closely reviewed by our management team, with a focus on your education and experience. This will help us determine if you will be further assessed. We will review the applications as we receive them, so if you have what it takes, you should hear from us soon about proceeding to phase 2.
- Phase 2: Show us your stuff
If you reach this phase, your references will be contacted to validate the information you provided for the Competencies as well as an invite to do Second Language testing. This is a really important step for you and for us, as it lets you demonstrate your talent and lets us ensure you can be successful in our organization. This will take longer than the other phases, but the end result will be worth the time investment.
If you have what it takes, our management team will be excited to meet you, either in person or virtually, to validate and further understand what we have learned about you. We may also assess what other assets you can bring to our team and where you best fit in.
- Phase 4: Congratulations!
You have met all our requirements, and an offer could be on the table. We will let you know where you stand and tell you when and if you can expect to be offered a position on our team.
Please note the following:
Positions to be filled:
- We may use a variety of different tools to assess qualifications. But don’t worry, we will give you a heads-up and time to prepare.
Number to be determined
Information you must provide
A response to a text question addressing the following:
- Demonstrates integrity and respect
- Thinking things through
- Working effectively with others
- Showing initiative and being action-oriented
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
A secondary school diploma.
Experience in the use of Microsoft Office suite (Power Point, Outlook, and Word)
Experience in preparing documents and manipulating data to produce reports using Excel.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS - EDUCATION:
Successful completion of a post-secondary program related to the position (Administration, Business, Finance, Project Management, Human Resources, Communications, Security, Occupational Health and Safety or Law).
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS - EXPERIENCE:
Experience working in an organization within the Public Service
Experience working in an organization within the Public Service that is a Central Agency (Treasury Board Canada, Privy Council Office, Finances Canada or the Public Service Commission)
Experience in making travel arrangements and processing travel claims
Experience in preparing budget reports
Experience in screening and directing requests and documents
Experience in providing administrative support to an organization
Experience in providing support in one or more of the following:
- Human Resource Management
- Project Management
- Occupational Health and Safety
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Bilingual - Imperative (BBB/BBB)
Information on language requirements
Demonstrates integrity and respect
Thinking things through
Working effectively with others
Showing initiative and being action-oriented
Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly orally and in writing
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
Willingness to work overtime as required or on short notice
Some positions will require working from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Conditions of employment
Secret security clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.