Position: General Assignment Reporter, Financial Post
Position Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Location: Toronto, ON
Division: National Post
Postmedia is a Canadian newsmedia company representing more than 120 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offers advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
The Financial Post is hiring one or more general assignment reporters. The Financial Post is Canada’s leading business news brand and serves the National Post and Postmedia, Canada's largest news chain which includes the Vancouver Sun, Calgary Herald, Edmonton Journal, Ottawa Citizen and Montreal Gazette.
What you’ll do:
The ideal candidate is an enterprising self-starter and team player with a sense for stories that resonate with the FP’s diverse readership. The candidate should be able to cultivate sources, find stories buried in documents and break news on tight deadlines, while writing in a way that is clear, concise and engaging. Responsibilities include both contributions to the daily news file and writing in-depth features and analysis.
Who you are:
- You have 3+ years of newsroom experience.
- As a general assignment reporter, your ability to be flexible and learn on the go are essential.
- Flexibility to write effectively in breaking news, features and short form is essential.
- Background knowledge of business is very helpful. More important is having the drive and ability to dig deep, to get answers and to be able to see story angles in numbers.
- You need an ability to identify trends and drivers behind the news that allows you to explain why and how, as well as what is happening.
- A talent for explanatory journalism is a must. Business is full of jargon: You need to be able to translate it for expert and novice readers alike.
- Completed the Canadian Securities Course is an asset.
- Being strong with data analysis is an asset.
- Experience and strength in video or podcast presentation is an asset.
Should you be interested in this opportunity please apply with a cover letter and resume in one document.
Application Deadline: January 29, 2021
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Application deadline: 2021-01-29
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent