Vancouver Aboriginal Health Society (VAHS) is a not-for-profit organization located in the Downtown Eastside community for over 30 years. VAHS programs are designed by and for urban Aboriginal people to promote physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual wellness. Our services include a Primary Care Clinic, a Dental Clinic, a cultural team of Elders and Knowledge Keepers, and Indigenous Early Years programs.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
VAHS is excited to announce an opening for the position of Finance Controller to join our dynamic team.
The Financial Controller, under the direction of the Executive Director of VAHS, is responsible for providing financial management controls and accounting services for VAHS and its technical entities, in accordance with the VAHS Financial Controls Policy and the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The Financial Controller contributes to the overall success of VAHS by effectively managing all financial responsibilities, including overseeing effective budgeting, reporting and accounting practices.
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual to oversee and manage our financial operations. If you have a proven track record in finance, exceptional analytical skills, and a keen eye for detail, we invite you to apply for this vital role within our non-profit society.
This is a full time, permanent position (non-Unionized) with an annual salary of $100,000 to $120,000. Benefits and a pension plan are available after a three-month probationary period.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee all financial activities, including full-cycle accounting and payroll, budgeting, forecasting, reporting, and financial analysis
- Develop and maintain financial policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure accuracy, compliance, and efficiency
- Prepare financial reports, statements, and presentations for management, the Board of Directors, and funding agencies
- Work alongside the finance team, providing guidance and fostering a collaborative environment
- Oversee payroll processes and ensure all required remittances and returns are in compliance
- Monitor and analyze financial performance, identifying trends, risks, and opportunities
- Collaborate with departments to support strategic decision-making and drive business growth
- Ensure timely and accurate month-end and year-end closing processes
- Coordinate with external auditors and ensure compliance with all applicable financial regulations
- Lead the conversion of the finance function to paperless environment
- CPA designation with 7+ years experience (preferred) with NPO/Charity accounting
- Willing/able to work on-site at head office, with opportunity to work a hybrid schedule after a mutually determined period
- Proven experience in a finance role, with a focus on financial management and control
- NPO audit experience is an asset
- Strong understanding of program/fund accounting and reporting
- Experience preparing multicolumn Statement of Operations
- Strong understanding of internal controls
- Experience overseeing month end routine financial process/year end audit process
- Experience with change management
- Ability to identify inefficiencies within current processes and recommend solutions to Executive Director/Board of Directors
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to lead a team effectively
- Exceptional analytical skills, attention to detail, and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities
- Experience with Microsoft Great Plains is an asset
We strongly encourage people from under-represented communities to apply, including but not limited to: Indigenous, Black, and people of colour; disabled people; and 2SLGBTQIA+ people of all genders. In alignment with Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis, Inuit) applicants are preferred. In your cover letter, please self-identify at your comfort level.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are a dedicated finance professional looking for a challenging opportunity to make a significant impact, we encourage you to submit your application.
Please submit your application or questions about this posting to: chumchitt[@]vahs.life
ATTN: Carrie Humchitt, Executive Director
Email Subject Line: Finance Controller Application
Closing Date: Open until filled
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and all relevant certifications in PDF format. Successful candidates will be required to complete a vulnerable sector Criminal Record Check.
VAHS thanks all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We look forward to reviewing your application and considering you for this critical role in our finance team.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $100,000.00-$120,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Vancouver, BC V6A 1P5: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Accounting: 7 years (required)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Vancouver, BC V6A 1P5