WeedMD Inc. is the publicly-traded parent company of WeedMD Rx Inc., a federally-licensed producer of cannabis products for both the medical and adult-use markets. The Company owns and operates a 158-acre state-of-the-art greenhouse, outdoor and processing facility located in Strathroy, Ontario. WeedMD also operates CX Industries Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WeedMD Inc., from the Company’s fully-licensed 26,000 sq. ft. Aylmer, Ontario production facility which specializes in cannabis extraction and processing. With the recent acquisition of Starseed Medicinal Inc., a medical-centric licensed holder with operations in Bowmanville, Ontario, WeedMD has expanded its multi-channeled distribution strategy. Starseed’s industry-first, exclusive partnership with LiUNA, the largest construction union in Canada, along with other employers and union groups complements WeedMD’s direct sales to medical patients. The Company maintains strategic relationships across the seniors’ market and supply agreements with Shoppers Drug Mart as well as six provincial distribution agencies where its adult-use brands Color Cannabis and Saturday are sold.
The Junior Accountant will be responsible for managing Weed MD accounts payable, and maintaining appropriate financial documentation through an organized system of filing. Other responsibilities will include producing monthly accounting reports, making accurate monthly remittances, providing assistance with annual audit working papers, ensuring the timely and accurate invoicing and vouchering, updating the internal database and administrative duties related to finance and bookkeeping. Other duties will be assigned as necessary.
- Maintaining an organized filing system for all appropriate documents
- Produce monthly accounting reports
- Ensure accurate processing of monthly remittances
- Prepare the general ledger
- Prepare journal entries
- Manage accounts payable
- Manage and reconcile monthly accrual
- Prepare GST/HST remittances
- Assist in audit inquiries
- Maintain fixed assets Schedule
- Store, update and retrieve financial data
- Perform clerical duties, such as maintain filing and record systems
- Process claims and vouchers for payment
- Enter invoices
- Match invoices with purchase orders
- Verify account codes and signatures for proper assignment of budgetary expenditures
- Act as first line contact with vendors regarding billing problems
- Keep Controller informed of potential accounting and billing problems
- Assistant in monthly comparison to budget
- Serve as a back-up for various accounting and administrative functions
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Post Secondary Degree or Diploma in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or other related field.
- Working towards CPA designation.
- (5) years of experience in accounts payable/accounts receivable, and general bookkeeping.
- Strong working knowledge of accounts payable and functions.
- Experience with budget, accounting, and reporting systems.
- Strong working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Practices.
- Perform mathematical computations accurately and quickly.
- Advanced proficiency with Sage X3 accounting software and spreadsheet programs and applications an asset.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners, and government agencies.
- Experience creating and managing budgets for a large, distributed organization.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office productivity suite.
- Travel may be required.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required.
WeedMD thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected to continue in the recruitment process will be contacted.
Pursuant to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, WeedMD will accommodate all applicants with disabilities to the point of undue hardship during the recruitment and hiring process. Accommodation will be provided upon request and in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. WeedMD will work cooperatively, and in a spirit of respect, with all partners in the accommodation process.
WeedMD is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status (including single status), gender identity, gender expression, receipt of public assistance (in housing only), sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding) or sexual orientation.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent