WHO WE ARE:
At A&B Rail LTD., our work is getting and keeping Canada’s railway operators in motion – safely and sustainably! We work coast-to-coast, in every railway sector, and on any size project. Our commitment is service excellence and offering our clients exceptional value. Within our team, we call this Doing It Right!
- This job will require travel throughout Western Canada for extended periods of time.
- This job will require working in all types of weather conditions.
- Due the physically demanding nature of the position, candidates will be required to undergo fitness testing as a condition of employment
Ensuring safety is a priority, labourers work in a team environment to build and maintain railways in numerous locations across Western Canada. Labourers operate various hand held tools small equipment and handle hazardous materials while frequently performing physical work in all weather conditions.
- Ensuring safety is a priority to self, fellow workers, the general public and the assets of the company and following policies and procedures set out by the company
- Various loading and unloading of heavy materials such as tools and equipment (spikes, tie plates, joint bars etc.) to and from various vehicles and machine
- Shoveling rocks and dirt for manual grading of surfaces and clearing ballasts
- Clearing railway crossings of brush and tall grass using hand held tools and equipment
- Removal of tie plates from the rail
- Snow removal from, crossings, and right aways using shovels, back pack blowers, brooms etc.
- General understanding of how to operate small equipment such as, but not limited to rail saws, drills, grinders, puller, air compressor, bolter, and back pack blower
- General understanding how to operate hand tools such as, but not limited to hammers, claw bars, drift pin, scythes, brooms, shovel, pick, and track jacks
- Occasional driving of company vehicle
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
The successful candidate for this role will demonstrate the following skills and experiences:
- Ability to operate required tools and equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Knowledge of workplace safety and safe lifting and handling procedures
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Effective communication skills including listening, writing and speaking
- Good client service and public interaction skills
- Effective team player
- Fluent in reading, writing and understanding the English language
- Be respectful and courteous to others, pose cultural awareness of others and demonstrate good work ethics
- Repetitive bending, and standing for long period of time, lifting and carrying up to 50lbs unas-sisted, repetitive swinging motions, walking on uneven surfaces (aprox 3 miles/day)
- Exposed to outdoors regularly in all weather conditions (summer heat, rain, winter cold, etc.)
- Working with hazardous materials such as creosote, lubricants, oil, gasoline, diesel and regular exposure to dusty conditions
- Continuous, regular exposure to loud noise
- 100% out of town work, with overnight travel
JOB REQUIREMENTS: * High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 6 months experience working in railway or construction industry.
- A Valid Drivers License
- Valid CSTS, First Aid, H2S Alive and Ground Disturbance level 2 courses are considered an asset
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Competitive Pay
- An industry leading comprehensive benefits program
- The opportunity to work with a great team where Safety is an integral part of our culture
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
A&B Rail Services LTD. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $22.20-$30.72 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Vision care