At Walmart we strive for continuous improvements that make it possible for our customers to save money and live better. Walmart's Project Engineers play a critical role in driving bottom line results.
Walmart is seeking an entrepreneurial person who will thrive in a dynamic and fast paced environment. The Project Engineer will report into the Manager, Logistics Capital Management, and will support the projects based work stream within the Engineering & Capital team.
This role will be responsible for the planning, execution and governance of capital projects within Logistics. The Project Engineer will help to identify and scope out capital projects in support of DC Operations, Engineering, Network Planning, Automation (Small Scale/Tactical), Transportation, and/or Loss Prevention that will either drive a return on investment for the company (e.g. by providing increased capacity/productivity, driving cost reduction activities etc.), or will help to sustain existing business operations (e.g. via the renewal of infrastructure/manufacturing assets which are at/beyond their useful life, compliance based investments etc.).
This role will also play a part in establishing new or improved existing capital governance / project management procedures. Once capital is approved, the role will also be accountable for leading or overseeing the successful execution of the project through the application of project management best practices.
The successful candidate will be self-driven and detail oriented; have exceptional communication skills; be able to work autonomously; challenge the status quo and ask questions designed to define and understand the root of complex business problems; and ultimately be able to work with cross functional teams to design cost effective/efficient capital solutions.
1. Capital Planning:
Support the Management team with long range capital planning activities by leading or participating in cross functional discussions designed to facilitate the identification, evaluation, prioritization, and final selection of projects for each year’s Logistics capital budget.
2. Front End Engineering:
Work with cross functional teams to properly define the problem statement for each project, and validate the need for capital investment. Propose various solutions to drive the highest return on investment for each capital solution.
3. Capital/Project Management & Execution:
Oversee the successful execution of capital projects by leading cross functional teams to ensure the project is delivered safely, on time, on scope and on budget. Track progress towards outcomes and identify/escalate project issues in a timely fashion.
4. Capital Governance:
Develop, review, and analyze the monthly and annual capital budget/forecast for each project prior to and post capital approval.
5. Value Engineering:
Evaluate capital solutions to ensure the maximum value/function is obtained for the lowest possible capital cost for Walmart. Whenever possible, solutions should be evaluated according to varying degrees of investment (i.e. bare bones, fit for purpose, best in class).
6. Operationalize Capital Projects:
Develop operational cost models, facility throughput models and process simulation models to ensure realistic capital solutions. Lead facility design, optimization, process workshops and Kaizen events.
7. Benefits Realization:
Where projects are expected to deliver savings, ensure that proper processes, KPI’s, and baseline metrics have been defined to help track, monitor and deliver savings to the business.
8. Act as a Solutions Design Engineer:
Drive innovative capital solutions by working with vendor partners and project teams to provide basic, fit for purpose or best in class recommendations to senior management.
Canada Walmart Division
Minimum Education Required:
Bachelor’s degree required (B.A.Sc./Eng in Industrial/Mechanical/Process Engineering preferred)
Minimum Years of Experience Required:
6-8 years related work experience (e.g. Project/Capital Management, CI/Process Engineer)
Licensing & Other Qualifications
- Proficient with MS Project, Visio, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SQL, AutoCAD, SAP
- PMP, Six Sigma Green/Black Belt certification would be beneficial
- Knowledge of technology/MHE relevant to warehouse operations
- Knowledge of retail operations, warehouse design, and supply chain management
- Basic knowledge of construction supervision and applicable acts/codes (e.g. OH&S Act, Provincial Building Codes etc.)
- Ability to work in a fast paced and changing environment
- Ability to travel (as required)
- Entrepreneurial - Demonstrate risk taking, innovation, independence, self-confidence and the ability to push self out of comfort zone
- Relationship Builder – Able to build strong relationships with internal/external stakeholders to improve solutions. Able to lead cross functional teams through influence.
- Analytical/Innovative thinker with an eye for detail; passion for mechanization and moving parts
- Strong business acumen and a process thinker capable of understanding the big picture
Ability to exercise diplomacy, honesty, and integrity
Walmart will accommodate the disability-related needs of applicants and associates as required by law.