Department, Unit or Project Description:
DeGroote’s Student Experience team supports all students at the DeGroote School of Business – MBA, BCom, specialized graduate programs and PhD students, across two campuses (Hamilton and Burlington). As an integrated team, we champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually to deliver a consistent and inspiring student experience. Our school’s culture is captured by three values: Generosity, Innovation and Collaboration.
DeGroote’s student population is comprised of individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences, including more than 25% international students from around the globe. The school, faculty and staff are committed to building an inclusive community supporting all individuals.
Reporting to the Director, Student Experience, the Manager, Recruitment and Admissions, assumes overall responsibility for the efficient and effective delivery of all recruitment and admissions activities for all MBA programs (Full-time, Co-op, Accelerated and Blended Learning Part-time) in the Faculty of Business (DeGroote School of Business) by providing leadership and operational excellence for the planning and execution of comprehensive MBA program-specific recruitment strategies. This leader will lead the team to recruit top quality students from around the world, upholding the reputational brand of DeGroote. The incumbent will travel internationally, when required, along with the Recruitment and Admissions team.
The Manager, MBA Recruitment and Admissions, demonstrates superb reasoning, problem solving and decision making and uses these skills to solve complex problems related to financial, physical or human resources. They will routinely collaborate with faculty, community partners, external facilitators and McMaster’s School of Graduate Studies in the fulfillment of their mandate.
As a valued member of the Student Experience team, the Manager, will contribute to the unit’s overall strategy, and provide recommendations on all business matters to the Director.
Reporting to the Director, Student Experience, assumes overall responsibility for the national/international recruitment activities and admissions functions for all MBA programs (Full-time, Co-op, Accelerated and Blended Learning Part-time) in the Faculty of Business (DeGroote School of Business), including marketing, data management and strategic enrolment management and admissions decisions.
Note: This role does not oversee DeGroote’s EMBA program.
The Manager, MBA Recruitment and Admissions is an advisor to the MBA Program Director related to all recruiting, enrolment and admissions activities and In collaboration with the Director - Student Experience, Manager – Career and Professional Development and Manager - MBA Programs, quality students are recruited and admitted into one of DeGroote’s MBA programs, meeting annual school targets.
Strategy development, action planning, resource allocation, active student engagement, retention practices and successful onboarding (from offer to start to term) activities will all be overseen by this leader. With a focus on EDI at McMaster University, a review of all admissions requirements will be the responsibility of this role, presenting recommendations to the MBA Program Director and DeGroote’s decanal leadership team.
Significant work with the Marketing and Community Engagement team to ensure brand promotion, external communications and marketing materials are targeted to achieve recruitment numbers every year.
LEADERSHIP AND ADVICE
- Overall responsibility for program enrolment leadership; strategic planning of student recruitment activities to ensure all annual targets met for all MBA programs.
- Assumes responsibilities for MBA admissions, including recommendations to the Program Director for final decision-making on individual student offers.
- Provides a continuing link between incoming and outgoing Deans and Associate Deans on office procedure and policy related to MBA/graduate education, specifically regarding recruitment and admissions and advises on new initiatives or changes to policies and procedures at the Faculty level.
- Meets with and advises MBA Program Director on competitive market information regarding MBA admissions requirements. Recommends updates/changes to MBA Program Director and/or Associate Dean, Graduate Studies.
- Participates at, or accompanies MBA Program Director to meetings of University committees involving MBA/graduate matters ie. Graduate Curriculum and Program Committee (GCPC), related to MBA admissions requirements.
- Actively participates in annual strategic planning process with Director and Student Experience Management team.
FINANCIAL AND HUMAN RESOURCES
- Budget and operational authority for MBA Student Experience (MBA Recruitment and Admissions); Accountable for creation and management of budgets, development of operational plans as well as policy, process, and reporting related to Recruitment and Admissions.
- Creates annual financial projections for each of the MBA programs and presents to the MBA Program Director and Director, Finance and Administration.
- Recommends, develops, plans and implements strategies as they relate to recruitment/admissions processes and activities including determining fiscal requirements, staffing requirements and policies and procedures.
- Leads and manages all functions related to human resource management including organizational design, assignment of work, as well as the hiring, training, performance management and professional development of all direct reports to yield strong outcomes aligned with strategic initiatives; Acts as the first point of contact for all staff and labour related issues related to the areas of accountability.
- Strategically identifies and negotiates third party vendors to engage in leading recruiting fairs worldwide to attract and secure quality MBA students.
- Promotes the program and manage its reputation by:
- promoting the program by attendance at various meetings, conferences, MBA fairs and networking functions throughout the year, which may take place in Hamilton, Burlington, or elsewhere in the GTA;
- seeking opportunities to enhance the reputation of the program by arranging for coverage of the program, its alumni, and key faculty members;
- seeking opportunities to enhance the overall brand of the School and University by linking DeGroote’s MBA programs to other events, programs and initiatives across campus, and in partnership with other institutions;
- leveraging the reputation of faculty, guest speakers, academic and community partners to enhance the program and School’s brands;
- implementing a reputation risk management approach to ensure the early identification and mitigation of reputational risks.
RECRUITMENT AND ADMISSIONS
- Guides and leads the team in setting the strategic direction for each MBA program; creating the marketing strategy, developing, organizing and promoting recruiting events, information sessions and tours; Launches strategies to increase and improve/grow recruiting pipelines both domestically and globally.
- Collaborates with DeGroote’s Marketing and Community Engagement (MACE) to develop effective annual marketing and recruitment plan and to increase awareness of MBA programs.
- Leads the team with university and corporate outreach, including; researching and identifying strategies to increase the quantity and quality of candidates from specific feeder universities, companies, professional associations and developing and maintaining relationships with relevant partners.
- Defines and directs representation of DeGroote, upholding reputational brand at recruitment events tailored to McMaster’s MBA Programs.
- Build and executes annual retention strategy, incorporating new and innovative programs to actively engage new acceptances to minimize ‘melt’ of students from offer to matriculation;
- Accountable for innovative student engagement programming including; Brand Ambassador Program and the Peer Prep Program; both critical to the retention of students from offer stage to start of term; Reports on all retention strategies annually to Program Director and Director, Student Experience.
- Advises on the recruitment and retention of the best-qualiﬁed students for each of the MBA programs.
- Accountable to identifying, recommending and implementing new Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) strategies for all recruitment and admissions activities and processes. Reporting diversity data to senior leadership annually.
- Develops and implements effective financial aid/scholarship supports to reduce potential entrance barriers, ensuring diverse applicant pool each year.
- Performs detailed analysis of enrolment results against targets and addresses gaps with team to enhance performance/outcomes.
- The incumbent also oversees the CRM processes for leading and tracking applicants through the application funnels and the high-quality analysis of statistical data for use in internal reports and for external ranking purposes.
- Oversees the application and interview process for all MBA programs to meet agreed-upon service standards for the Faculty.
- Presents recommendations to Admissions Committee once the applications are reviewed using a comprehensively data-driven process (rubrics).
- Responsible for updating offer letter content and format (review annually) and partner with Student Accounts regarding annual fee tables.
- Partners with School of Graduate Studies on campus-wide initiatives (ie. SLATE) and then incorporates new processes into operational activities.
REPORTING AND DATA MANAGEMENT
- Provide data and reporting related to annual targets for MBA programs in a timely manner for AACSB, IQAP, IRA.
- Establishes and meets appropriate service standards/reporting timelines that ensures the McMaster community and external community receive prompt, accurate information regarding matters relating to MBA/graduate education in the Faculty.
- Reports monthly to the senior leadership team on admissions against annual targets, along with updates on marketplace conditions and recommendations on new strategies to secure quality students in each program.
- Collects, analyzes, assesses and summarizes information from a variety of sources and approves recommendations within a defined scope of authority or presents recommendations to senior management for approval.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in business, education or a related field – graduate degree preferred;
- 7+ years of progressively responsible managerial experience, preferably within an University environment
- The candidate should demonstrate a commitment to life-long learning with evidence of training in one or more of the following areas:
- Project management;
- Business development;
- Customer Relationship Management
Application deadline: 2021-04-19
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $1.00-$2.00 per year
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- managerial: 7 years (preferred)
- Project management: 7 years (preferred)
- Business development: 7 years (preferred)
- Marketing: 7 years (preferred)
- Customer Relationship Management: 7 years (preferred)
- working in high education or at a University: 7 years (preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Virtual meetings