Status: Part-time/Permanent with potential for Full-time
Start Date: Immediately
Closing Date of Application: Until position is filled.
Location of Employment: Preschool
About Salish Sea Behaviour Consulting:
Salish Sea Behaviour Consulting is a small but growing behaviour consulting firm based out of Nanaimo, British Columbia. Our organisation provides clinical therapy/individualized one to one programming based on Applied Behaviour Analysis and support services to children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder and a variety of developmental delays. Behaviour Interventionists work with childrenin the community and in families’ homes. We work hard to incorporate evidence-informed intervention practices, keeping current with the latest developments; we are passionate about supporting families and their children with respect and compassion.
Our staff team works within a family centered, child focused; play-based environment and enjoys close partnerships with other community agencies, schools and other professionals. We work with diverse families with a wide variety of needs and our team prides itself on being professional and approachable.
We are looking for a Behaviour Interventionist (BI) to provide one on one support to a fun 3 year old while he attends preschool from for two hours in the morning on Tuesday and Thursday. As we have many clients in daycare and preschool there is the potential for increased hours.
Behaviour Interventionist duties include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with the treatment team including clients, parents/guardians, other professionals,including speech language pathologists, occupational therapistsandeducators.
- Implementing behaviour intervention plans (teaching academics, communication, social skills, life skills, etc. and using behavioural reduction procedures) in 1:1 and small group sessions under the direction of a BCBA
- Collecting data, monitoring and reviewing client's progress with the team
- Attending and participating in team meetings
- Maintaining a clean, safe, and organized work environment
- Acquiring and maintaining technical knowledge by attending required trainings
- You may be required to help with toilet training and other personal hygiene requirements. You must be able to remain professional and supportive while doing so.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong play skills, a positive attitude, and lots of energy and patience.
- The ability to take constructive feedback and implement it immediately.
- The ability to work independently and problem solve challenging situations
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Maintain professional behaviour, speech, and attire at all times
- Physical ability to perform duties of the position (e.g., sitting, kneeling, squatting, running, twisting and turning)
- Computer skills related to word processing, data collection, and development/maintenance of documents
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all members of the team, in particular, families and care
Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Age 19+
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must provide a copy of a current Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check
- Must be fluent in English. Additional languages an asset
- Consistent availability is required
- A clean driver’s license, and access to a vehicle (SSBC will cover the cost of additional insurance to drive clients in your car)
- Experience working with children and youth
- ASD, ABA-specific coursework, training or workshops an asset, but not a requirement but must be willing to engage in on-going professional development.
- Experience working with clients who have a diagnosis of ASDand/or other developmental disabilities and/or enrollment in or degree from a post-secondary program in Child and Youth Care, Psychology, Educational Psychology, Special Education or another related field
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $20.00 /hour
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $20.00 /hour
- child care: 1 year (Preferred)