Do you believe everyone should have access to healthy food, and that food can be a powerful tool for connecting people and building better health and a stronger community? The Food Bank of Waterloo Region is looking for a motivated, hard-working and dynamic Warehouse Associate to join our team.
Who You Are:
The Food Bank of Waterloo Region has an immediate opening for an individual who is excited to make a difference and help support The Food Bank’s mission to obtain and distribute emergency food from our neighbours to our neighbours. You are a motivated and hardworking individual who is driven to meet order deadlines. You are passionate about maintaining accurate inventory counts and ensuring all food leaving the building is of good quality. You thrive in an environment where you work as part of a team providing support on all order related activities in the warehouse.
Start Date: July 2019
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: June 17, 2019
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Superior attention to detail and accuracy
- Hard-working and takes initiative
- Thrives in a fast paced environment
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Who We Are:
Established: 1984 Employees: 24
The Food Bank of Waterloo Region is dedicated to meeting the needs of the community and ensuring no one goes hungry. Through community partnerships, The Food Bank of Waterloo Region acquires and distributes food to 100+ local community agencies and food programs.
The Food Bank of Waterloo Region provides employees with a flexible and progressive benefit package and accommodates for hours worked above and beyond and strives to address the personal time needs of each employee.
Reporting to the Operations Team Lead, this position will have a primary focus on all outbound food. You will work closely with volunteers and the warehouse team providing operational support to ensure the timely preparation of partner orders for distribution. This role is responsible for a variety of tasks within the warehouse including: food handling, food sorting, record keeping, customer service, compost and waste management. Partnering with the Operations Team Lead you will manage perishable inventory coming into and out of the building including rotating product in the cooler and using both a handheld device and computer to make entries into the inventory system. Providing exceptional customer service you will assist and direct volunteers in supporting our partners.
- Restock product as needed following specific food storage guidelines
- Prepare perishable, frozen and non-perishable orders
- Receive, unload and put away incoming products into inventory
- Train and direct volunteers
- Occasional driving requirements
- Assist with special events both onsite and offsite
- Check inventory quality and dates based on Food Banks Canada Guidelines
- Work to maintain a pleasant, tidy and accessible warehouse
- Ensure inventory system is up to date when receiving, moving, picking or loading product
- Coordinating tasks and help support volunteers
- Assist with general warehouse operations as required
The Food Bank is open to the public Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm however this role will have start and end times ranging between 7:30-5:30. Due to the nature of the organization it is understood that irregular hours and hours above and beyond are included in your salary, but shall not exceed guidelines of the Employment Standards Act.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Valid Ontario G license
- Physically able to lift 30lbs up to 80lbs on a regular basis
- A clean driver abstract
- Forklift certification including reach truck
- Food Safety Certification
- First Aid Certification
- 2-5 years of relevant warehouse experience
- Familiarity with warehouse processes and inventory management systems is an asset
Transformational Impact at The Food Bank of Waterloo Region:
- 34,408 individuals served by the Community Food Assistance Network in 2017
- Acquire & Distribute 4,523,167 pounds of food annually
- 220 food hampers are distributed every day in Waterloo Region·
- In 2017, 587,822 meals were served by community meal programs
- 1,600 community meals are distributed every day
- Nearly 40% of households seeking food assistance are families with children
Please submit your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, no later than June 17th. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Standard First Aid (Preferred)
- Ontario G Driver's License (Required)
- Food Safety (Preferred)