Canada West Veterinary Specialists
1988 Kootenay Street
WHO ARE WE? Canada West Veterinary Specialists is an exciting multi-disciplinary specialty referral practice with a dedicated 24-hour ERCC service and are the only certified Level II Veterinary Trauma center in Western Canada as designated per the Veterinary Committee on Trauma (VetCOT). We have 7 specialty departments, including Oncology, Neurology, Diagnostic imaging, Surgery, Internal medicine and Anesthesiology with added services of Rehabilitation therapy and in-house lab.
With a team of just over 120 staff members we are a group of dedicated and diverse individuals passionate about working together to provide the best patient care and client satisfaction. In addition to having a team of specialists, who provide advanced veterinary medicine, we get opportunities to provide treatment assistance to community partners such as the Vancouver Aquarium and Police Service Dogs and by providing canine emergency care training to the Delta Police Dog unit.
- We offer competitive wages and generous shift premiums for evening and overnight shifts
- We have a profit sharing program to recognize our staff’s contributions for our success.
- We believe in your well-being and provide a company sponsored Employee Assistance Program (EAP) enabling access to caring professionals that can help access support related to fitness, physical health and mental well-being programs.
- We provide employer paid Pet insurance to our employees.
- We provide an annual Health and Wellness allowance.
- We believe in recognizing our staff with an anniversary recognition program.
- We offer extended health benefits, paid sick days and a uniform allowance
- We grow together with our monthly in-house CEs.
- Two working weeks vacation
- We have fun together with our hospital sponsored social events like; having Food Trucks visit us onsite, Halloween pumpkin carving contests, Annual Christmas Party, Pub Nights, etc..
An ideal candidate must be available to work rotational shift, have a can-do attitude and share our passion for animal care and continuous learning.
TECHNICIAN CAREER : Our employees are encouraged to pursue career advancement and several of our employees possess VTS in different areas.
Main duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurately administer and use Drugs / medications, procedures, and protocols in Wards and ICU.
- Directly monitor, carry out treatments and procedures, ensure patient comfort and document care for patients
- Ensures that pertinent information and observations relating to patient care is provided to the next shift during oral rounds.
- Carry out communication with; primary Doctor, Hospitalist regarding patient status updates, and alert of any changes or concerns. And Participate in communication with Clients.
- Calculates, dispenses and administers medications at the direction of the Specialist on the case.
- Perform technical nursing skills such as: IV catheter placement, blood collection, urine collection (cystocentesis, catheterization), taking radiographs, etc.
- Ensures that all equipment is properly maintained documented and any concerns are reported.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Has a strong knowledge and understanding of normal vital parameters, and the ability to recognize changes and or abnormalities
- A strong knowledge of asepsis
- Strong mathematics skills (drug dose calculations, CRI’s, dilutions)
- Ability to recognize and establish priorities and execute patient triage
- Ability to life 50 pounds.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to remain calm in emergencies
- Ability to work individually and as a team
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated computer and phone skills
- High level of professionalism
Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduate of an accredited program for Veterinary Technologists
- Registered Veterinary Technology designation preferred
- Anesthesia experience is highly valued
- Demonstrated skills, experience and training that would qualify the individual for a position of responsibility
Job Type: Full-time: Permanent
To apply: email resume and cover letter to Malena McGrogan, HR Generalist
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $22.00 to $30.00 /hour